Wednesday, 28 September 2011

Back on the Hill again....






Yesterday we took ourselves, along with Sarah, Matthew and the four kids to Sovereign Hill here in Ballarat. I've shown you photos from there before but you'll have to suffer through some more today....sorry :o) 


 The Hill is a tribute to the early gold miners of this country, the goldrush years were full of tales of hard work, tragedy, hearbreak and triumph, the life of a miner was hard and thankless for the thousands that didn't strike it rich. We were a Colony of Great Britain, well, I guess we still are, an outpost of Colonial England...! 




Anyway, these were everywhere, proof that the Colony belonged to the Mother Country, belonged to a Sovereign... The Union Jack, flying proud. Being a 10 pound Pom myself, I find that the Union Jack can still pull my heartstrings, evoke memories of my home land, land of my birth... I still have people that mean the world to me, people that I love living in the 'old country' and the sight of the Union Jack flying in the wind brings them close again... 




















Samantha was of course with us and as usual became a willing model for this grandparent to indulge my passion for both my beautiful grandchildren and taking photographs and really, how could you not want to photograph her? Oh yes, I know, totally biased, but you've got to agree with me haven't you? She's on her way to Perth tonight to spend the holidays with her Dad, so, have a great trip gorgeous girl, see you when you get home.... 


























These guys were entertaining the crowds with their music but the base player in the red shirt was even more entertaining than the rest! I was standing on the other side of the road taking these shots with a long 300mm lens and he spotted me then started winking, really, winking at me.....what a flirt..!! 


































Troopers marching down the street caused a rush of photography, very grand they looked too... 


























oh and look, there I am, framed for posterity











 I liked this little vignette, inside one of the houses, just a little still life sitting in the dusty sunshine.....  







































...and I couldn't have a day taking photographs without a flower in there could I? You know I can't resist a single flower shot...  
































 
























 


the local goldfields constabulary, ever alert for miners without a licence...








...and finally, just because I've promised myself that I will, when I leave this world, leave photographic evidence that I did exist, which of course means appearing on the other side of the lens every now and then.....




























...here's one Samantha took with my point and shoot Olympus...me, moi, myself and I...


Hope you've all had a great week so far, stay chilled....
XXX

7 comments:

Margaret said...

I really enjoyed all the pictures. Looks like a fun day. I think your GD is a beautiful young lady -- what a lovely pic you took of her. Too funny about the bass player. Better tell your hubby to watch out. lol! I'd so love to visit your country someday (and the home country too for that matter). Maybe one of these days.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Wonderful photos as always!

taylorsoutback said...

It's great to see the photographer behind the camera!

Your photo of the gentleman looking for illegal miners is terrific...so much character in that face and he appears ever alert.

Thank you for sharing your day with us.

Pieces of Sunshine said...

Brought back god memories of our visit last year. I plan to post on it one day but have so many photos......
Really enjoyed our day at Sovereign Hill.

Sue said...

Great post Lizzie, I love the faces of the locals. I wonder if it's a requirement of the job....looking "interesting"!
The visitors are a bit cute too.

Sue B said...

Gorgeous photos. I love to visit Ballarat there is so much history to see.

baukje said...

I wish i could take pictures like you! do!!!!!! And the picture your granddaughter made is beautiful, you look like a happy young girl.......

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin