Saturday, 29 October 2011

At last some quilts....

....but not mine..!!


Jill, Gudrun and I took ourselves off this morning to the Ballaarat Quilters Inc. 2011 Quilt Exhibition in the old Mining Exchange building in, of course, Ballarat. What a great little show it was. I think there were 120 quilts (please don't quote me) on show and a half dozen trading tables, including the lovely Corliss from Threadbear and our own Sue and Julie from Millrose.


I didn't quite photograph every quilt, but it was hard not too, the quality was excellent, the colours and variety were fabulous....
So here are some of my favourites, all the descriptions and names are taken from the information cards on the actual quilts...






"Eureka" by Suzanne Lyle

"This quilt has been made as my interpretation of the "Battle of Eureka"

The Oath:    "We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties."

The oath was taken by hundreds of miners under the flag of rebellion in Ballarat on 3rd December 1854.

The spiral of Southern Cross stars of various sizes depict the various soldiers and miners that fought in the battle. A small droplet of blood on the quilt represents the blood that was shed during the uprising, resulting in the death of 30 people.

The flag itself was held in high esteem to represent the battle of "Eureka", and pieces of the flag were cut off and presented to visiting dignitaries as a symbol of the stand taken by the miners of the goldfields over rigorous mining licences and taxes. "




"Whimsical Stars" by Suzie Hipke





"Red Robin" by Jan Watson






















































"Music of the Spheres on 45 RPMs" by Noȅl Nicholls








"Friendship Stars" by Trish Lemon


"John's Garden" by Noel Nicholls



"Spirit of Arizona" by Dale Ann Gordon


"Kylie and Shane's Wedding Quilt" by Ruth Symons  


Blogger is not playing nicely tonight...at all!! So I'll post the rest later, probably Monday now as I'm off to work tomorrow, gosh it's hard, going to work at Millrose...   ;o)


Be good people...
xxx







14 comments:

Margaret said...

Nice quilt show! I haven't been to one in ages. (I do think blogger is being very weird recently. I hope they fix it!)

Deb said...

Beautiful quilts Lizzie. thanks for sharing.

Lynne said...

A lovely selection of stunning quilts.

Francien said...

I just love the last three Lizzie....beautiful pictures....have fun at "work"...and a fine weekend...greetings Francien.

Karen said...

Beautiful quilts, especially the applique quilt. I also like the spiral of stars though it is contemporary in design and I mostly make prim style quilts.

Judith said...

What lovely quilts! I like the spirit of arizona best then maybe the first. It is so difficult to choose as they are all great.

Celia said...

Thanks for the posting. I was thinking of going to the show today but the weather is putting me off so its good that you have posted the photos... looking forward to more picts when you get a chance.

taylorsoutback said...

Oh my Stars and Flowers quilts...thank you for taking us along to the Show! The first one - blue and white stars is amazing...

Annie said...

I enjoyed it too. I should have kept my eyes open and I might have seen you. I was there in the pm

Michelle said...

Beautiful quilts, can't wait to see the rest.
Michelle

Julia said...

Great post Lizzie, I so much enjoyed the history of the Flag...something I didn't know about...we don't hear too much about our past history like this..
Julia ♥

Sue said...

Such lovely photos Lizzie, no heads or bodies in the way to spoil such beautiful quilts.

Karen said...

I love the Eureka one Lizzie, so simply executed, though not simple to make I am sure!!

Julie said...

Gorgeous quilts in both posts Lizzie. Sending the links to Mum, she'd love a look at these.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin