Friday, 7 October 2011

Going to Houston....sort of !













Way back last December I recieved an email from a lovely lady called Susan Rhudy from Southwest Missouri in the United States. Susan told me that she loved my photographs and wanted permission to use one to make a very special little quilt...


When I found out why Susan made these special little quilts I told her..go for it, take whatever pictures you want.....


Susan's Mum suffered from Alzheimer's disease before her death and Susan makes quilts now for the AAQI, the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative.  Please go and have a look at the amazing works of art that go for auction to raise funds for research into this insidious disease...






This is the photograph that Susan chose to use for one of her little quilts


























...and this is the quilt she made.... 












Isn't it amazing, I love it, little Mali from Melbourne Zoo, imortalised on a little quilt that will help to one day find a cure for this killer of memories....












Susan called the quilt... 'A Girl Just Gotta Have Fun..' and this my friends is the dedication on the quilt...






Dedication: This quilt is in honor of Lizzie's mum. Having gone through Alzheimer’s with my own mom, my heart hurts for her and all those who love those afflicted.

Read more: http://www.alzquilts.org/7970.html#ixzz1a3amjkTj



I shed a few tears the day Susan first sent me the link to the AAQI and her quilts displayed for auction there. But today I recieved another email from Susan to tell me that we're going to Houston!!! Well, her quilt is, how exciting is that? It's been picked with another of her little art quilts and lots of others to go for display and hopefully raise lots of money at the biggest quilt show in the world. I am so incredible moved by the work and dedication of the AAQI because as much as this is not going to benefit my Mum here in Australia now, this is a global disease and I know that whatever ground is broken will be broken for the benefit of all those that live in this global village..


This blog has given me so many priceless friendships with women I'm never ever going to meet as well as a few I have met, this is my global village where we share the good with the bad, the sadness with the celebrations, the fun with the boring, where I know you are all there to listen when I come and tell you how hard it is to lose my Mum one brain cell at a time. You give me things to laugh about again, you give me words of wisdom and down to earth common sense and for all that and for what I know we will share in the future, thank you.....
XXX


Go here to visit Susan's blog and tell her how gorgeous those toenails are....   :o)

17 comments:

Sew Useful Designs said...

Lizzie, how very humbling... I'm a bit stuck for words! Your story is beautiful, and I adore Susan's interpretation of Mali... toenails and all - it's amazing!

Blogging sure does make the world seem smaller... it's wonderful.

Lots of love sweetie!
Vikki xo

Jo in TAS said...

Oh Lizzie, how wonderful this story is and what a lovely woman Susan is. I love this quilt of Mali, especially painting of the toenails, so cute!
Hugs to you Sweetie, always remember those happy times!
Hugs
Jo

Sue said...

This world of ours is filled with people who are linked for so many reasons. Blogging and quilters working to spread good works.
Mali's fun toenails are gorgeous and now I'm off to visit Susan's blog. Thanks for sharing this.

Copper Patch said...

What a great way to raise money, spread awareness and insulge in quilty goodness!
Gorgeous picture, gorgeous quilt!
Ab x

Janet said...

I'm typing through tears here, that is such a wonderful story.
The little quilt is stunning and what a thrill that her piece of art and yours are linked and going to Houston.

baukje said...

Thank you Lizzie for your story. So very exiting that the quilt will be showed in HOUSTON!

Margaret said...

Oh gosh, that is just so wonderful, Lizzie. What a wonderful quilt for a very important cause.

soggybottomflats said...

What a gorgeous quilt! I always love to read about the inspiration for quilts, but Lizzie, your story moved me in so many ways. Hugs to you, my little Aussie friend, my heart breaks for you. Thank you for sharing, Elaine

taylorsoutback said...

A beautiful story - your original photo and the adaptation to the quilt...love the title, those pink toenails!

Take car!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a beautiful story and I love the way Susan interpreted your picture...wonderful!

Lurline said...

Beautiful story emanating from a beautiful creature so wonderfully photographed - bless you, Lizzie!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Lynda said...

Mali's quilt is so beautiful - I love the painted toenails!

Lynne said...

It's a gorgeous quilt - congratulations to both of you!

PS My grandmother had alzheimer's; I'm watching my 77yo widowed-living-alone mum from 600km away with trepidation!

Jan Mac said...

I lost my own lovely Mum to this terrible disease and when I visited Houston last year I also made sure that I visited and bought a quilt from the AAQI exhibition. I also managed to meet with Ami Simms and thank her for her wonderful dedication to this initiative.
I pray they find a cure and also that you have many happy memories to help you through this challenge.
Hugs, Jan Mac

Margaret said...

Incredible work

EllieB said...

That is such a beautiful story and photo - and what a stunning quilt. It is like a ray of light and hope.

Susie said...

Amazing and beautiful! All the best to those on this distraught journey. May their own memories bring some happiness to their lives and they journey through it. Susie

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin