Tuesday, 25 October 2011

It's been a while but I'm still around....

Gosh, it has been a while hasn't it. I've been lurking around reading some blogs but I don't think I've even been doing much commenting really. Lots been going on what with up and down to visit Mum and Dad, I've had some personal issues to work through, family stuff happening, doing a few days work here and there and now a new term has started for the computer classes I run. Stuff happening here, there and everywhere really, I haven't been doing much in the way of sewing either but I've been slowly working on a couple of things. It's that time of the year again isn't it? Everywhere I visit in blogland there's secret stuff going on, things being made that can't be shown, little secret things stashed away awaiting the big guy in the red suit...!! Ooohh, I love Christmas...   :o)


Anyway, a little while back I left a comment on the gorgeous Abbe's blog and how excited was I when a week or so later Abbe sent me an email to say I'd won her rainbow giveaway...




..a short while later this amazing rainbow of loveliness landed in my post box...nine gorgeous pieces of solids in a rainbow of colours, thank you Abbe..! I love them, they're sat in a metal basket on my dresser throwing out warm sunshiny colours every time I walk past them...  :o)


 I did the last block for my online bee too not long ago, Viv sent a baggie full of Kaffe strips and virtually said...make a block!! Well, there was a little more communication but she did give us a huge amount of creative leeway!


We normally only do two blocks each but there was a fair bit of fabric left and after adding some Kaffe I had too, I was able to put another two together...


They are square I promise, they just don't look it...bright aren't they?


I've been doing a bit of my own secret sewing too....
...the Railway Man doesn't usually read my blog, but you never know do you, so I'll show you after the big guy has been in December. I will tell you though that it's not a quilt and it's destined to be framed..!!


We had a HUGE storm here on Saturday last, now I'm not a lover of storms, thunder and lightening just don't do anything for me and I find them downright scary! The dogs and I are in agreement that the best place to be during a storm is under something...you know...a quilt, a sheet over the head, even a pillow at a pinch and I will confess to actually hiding under the table once many years ago. We were staying at Mum and Dads when they lived in this little seaside town on the south coast of NSW, the kids would have only been young....anyway...they had this Labrador called Brandy at the time and Brandy just didn't like storms, he was a trooper with rain, the surf, the kids (and they could be a trial I promise) anything really....except thunder and lightening and when a storm hit he would find the nearest person to cower behind. This particular time we were there, it was late at night if I remember correctly, and a really big, noisy, scary, horrible storm hit. The kids were all in bed and Mum and Dad were out so Brandy and I had to 'weather' the storm together...Mum and Dad couldn't stop laughing when they got home not long after and Brandy and I were under the table together consoling one another, honestly, I don't know who got the most comfort out of it me or the dog...???   :o)


Sooo, we had a huge storm here on Saturday and the only good thing about it was the 'raindrops on roses' shots I took after the scary stuff had gone........ ..I'm not going to bore you with all of them but I did particularly like this one. This Rugosa Rose is always one of the first to flower and it's a lovely single flower when it's open.


Keep an eye out in the next week or two (I hope) for a new blog, I'm working on it now and it's for the gorgeous Sue at Millrose, so expect lots of loveliness because there sure is a lot of that over there..!!


I signed up for the new Sue Spargo BoM for 2012 and I'm super excited about that, I've been wishing that I'd done this years so I'll just have to get it as a pattern later I guess. The really exciting thing though is that she's going to be doing a workshop in Tasmania late 2012 and I'm going to be there....  WooHoo!! I missed out on last years in Melbourne as I was in Perth at the same time she was here, so I'm in early this time...


Well, that's it for today I think my friends, I'll try to not be quite so long between chats next time....
Be good...


Oh and Gudrun, this one is just for you.... :o)

14 comments:

Francien said...

Glad to read that you are ok Lizzie....and the fabrics you have won are great!!..i love the log cabin from the Kaffe fabrics....never bought or used them...i honestly thought they would be to "busy"and bright together....but the ones you have made look beautiful....i am sure you must be looking forward to the SS workshop in 2012....must be awesome to learn from her...
Have a fine week and hope the doggies are ok too...greetings Francien.

Sue-Anne said...

GHood to hear from you Lizzie. I think everyone will be losing time gradually over the next couple of months in anticipation of the big red guy coming.

Love your kaffe blocks and congratulations on your rainbow win.

fialka012 said...

❤❤❤

Cat said...

❤❤❤ it's hard sometimes to find the right balance between blogging and crafting and the 'things' life throws us ❤❤❤ I've noticed I blog more in winter ❤❤❤

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

The Kaffe blocks are gorgeous! Nice to hear from you again.
Our Tiffi hates thunder and fireworks - no cowering under the table (I almost wish she would!) - it's full blast attack! Great on new year's eve!

baukje said...

Hi Lizzie, I remember when I was young my mum did not like storm and thunder. In the middle of the night we had to sit there in the living room with clothes on and a suitcase because..... you never know. I still don't like storm and thunder.
Labradors are such sweet dogs, thanks for the story about yours, my Rosa is also a sweetie.....

Copper Patch said...

I'm glad you've got some brightness to glance at while secreted under something protective like a quilt while the skies rain down, booming and crashing.
At least you have your roses to enjoy after the storm.
Love the Kaffe blocks, they look great.
Ab xx

Margaret said...

Loved the story about you and Brandy. lol! I agree with you all -- hate thunderstorms. Maybe it's because the weather's been so crazy recently that we've actually gotten tornadoes too often for words along with those thunderstorms? In NY? Crazy!

Love the Kaffe blocks (I love Kaffe Fassett), and I'm envious of you signing up for more Sue Spargo BOM. I was on the fence about it long enough not to make the signup. lol! Which is probably a good thing. I do love this year's though, so I might have to do as you do and buy the pattern at least. We'll see.

Hope all the family stuff is going ok and your mom is doing ok too.

Heather said...

I too signed up for the 2012 Sue Spargo BOM after taking 2 classes with her this past June. She is just a lovely person and so inspiring. I'm really looking forward to the new BOM, the colors look gorgeous.

Deb said...

Lovely post Lizzie. I hope you are finding some time to look after yourself too. I think a trip to Tassie will be just what you need!

Sue said...

I love your newsy post Lizzie. New exciting things happening, nostalgic stories from the past, lovely colourful pics.....a great mix.
Hugs from me!

taylorsoutback said...

A delightful stack of solids...I think we often overlook all the possibilities with solids & not a lot of shops carry a full line.

Yours are so pretty and equally as pretty is that rose with raindrops...such an eye for photography you have!

Vivian said...

Hey Lizzie girl!!!! So glad to see you again, guess what came in the mail? my Kaffe Fasset blocks!!!! Wahoo, they are gorgeous and I love them.

BTW, guess who is coming to the Yukon at the end of March? Sue Spargo!!!! She's doing a 3 day workshop here...I have already requested the days off work LOL!

Take care my friend,

Sew Useful Designs said...

Hi Lizzie!

So nice to catch up with you! I had a lovely mental image of you hugging the dog under the table... I bet your mum and dad thought that was so cute!

The 'silly season' always seems to hit pretty suddenly doesn't it?! Lovely to hear that you are going to be working on another sue spargo quilt - something to look foward to.

All the best sweetie, hope all is well honey!
Vikki xoxoox

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin