Thursday, 15 December 2011

10 days to christmas day..

...oooohh, I do so love christmas...


I haven't been keeping up with my blogging just lately I know but when I get emails that ask where I am and how come there's nothing to read, then it's time to take back a little control...!!!  It's been a little frantic in this house in the country for a few weeks, so I'll show you my home decked out for christmas then we'll have a chat and I'll catch you up with all the gossip from my little patch on this planet......




the kitchen all lit up for the next couple of weeks, please excuse the basket of washing (yes it's clean) sat on the chair




the revamped lounge/sitting room with the new window, hallway and doors finished....finally!! It looked like this from the outside way back in july...



looking through the door into the kitchen from the lounge room and finally....

 
the tree...it's not a real one this year so no spicy smell of pine, it's also up on a blanket box because a certain four legged fiend thinks all those sparkly, glittery, shiny things hanging down are just wonderful to chase around the floor...!!!


For those of you interested in the techie details of how I did the lights shots....
nikon dslr
iso 1600
shutter speed 1.30
f4.5


one morning last week I had come back from my morning walk/run early, like 6.30am and I found this just sitting on the gate into the house garden...






I just love dragonfly's, they flit around here all summer long but I never seem to be able to capture them really, so this was just too good an opportunity to miss. I must have taken 100 shots of this beauty but I will restrain myself (I can hear you sighing with relief :o) and just show you a few...






So, what else has been happening that I've neglected to tell you about since my battle with the plague the other week and thank you by the way, for all your get well wishes, it cheered me up just reading them. I was tempted to deliver punishment to the oh so generous germ laden grandchild of washing dishes for a month or something, but, oh well, I survived and I still love them to bits.... 




If you're a regular visitor here to a house in the country you'll know that my beloved mum has Alzheimer's and her condition is of course never going to improve but she's rapidly sliding into dementia and it's been a hard few weeks for me. She no longer really knows who I am, she just talks and thanks me for coming, has started becoming paranoid about things and is very agoraphobic, for which we are very grateful as it means she won't wander for the next little while. She has though been wanting to go home to her Mother and Father and has been quite upset with dad and I when we won't give her keys to get in their house....sigh, it's such a terrible and wasteful  end to a long and productive life you know. To watch her is more painful than I can tell you but I made myself a promise that I would stay cheerful and happy for dad, his life is so much more trying and he's determined to keep her at home for as long as is humanly possible. It must be so heartbreaking to watch the love of your life slipping away after all these years. They met one another when mum was 15 years old....she turned 83 last Saturday!! That's a long time to be together, they are no longer two, they've been one for many, many years....
I know in my heart that this christmas will be the last one with any semblance of knowing who and what is happening for mum and it is so, so sad....










On the gift buying/making front, I picked up the railway man's present from the framers today but I can't show you as I've stashed it over at Millrose, there was no way I could get it out of the car and into the house without him seeing it (he's been home for a few days) so next week, when he's back at work I'll go pick it up and take some photographs to show you...I will just tell you though that it looks fabulous (just a little self trumpet blowing) I was very, very pleased with the way it turned out...   :o). I've still got some gifts to buy and a few cushions I want to make for gifts and all the food shopping to do, baking to start, gingerbread houses to decorate, dogs to the groomers....sigh, did I say 10 days...??? Oh and I haven't posted my christmas cards yet....!!!


Oh well, it's all part of the magic isn't it, the last minute rush, wondering if you've got enough food, did you buy what the kids really want, will they all like the things you put all the time, effort and money into.....


ooohhh, I love christmas  :o)








I love this last one, the filigree of her wings, nature is such a wonderful designer isn't she...?




I'll be back in a day or two (I hope) with some photos of my sewing groups christmas lunch today and the morning tea at millrose...right now it's time to sit down and just chill for an hour then bed...


be good and see you soon..
xxx







17 comments:

Betweens said...

Wow what a wonderful christmas view through your gorgeous home. It is very festive and lovely thanks for the invite to see everything.
What really amazes me is your the plethora of books! Lots of knowledge and references on them there walls.
Dragon flies are my favorite and you captured her so well. They are amazing aviators.
Maerry Christmas Lizzie and happy new year to ya.

Kali said...

Lizzie, absolutely everything in this post is beautiful..even the way you spoke about your parents. Wishing you a very special Christmas.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a lovely post... Your home looks so inviting and warm. Just love the pictures and the way you captured the light..magic!

Sorry to hear about your mom...you've written so beautifully about what you are going through and I can hear the positivity that you seem determined to keep. My heartfelt thoughts for you and your family that you have a very special Christmas this year! ((HUGS))

Josie said...

Breathtakingly beautiful dragonfly photographs. I'm in awe! Equally gorgeous photos of your Christmas home too.... is it rude to covert your kitchen?

Margaret said...

Your house is so beautiful all decorated for Christmas! I love Christmas too, it's my favorite holiday. The dragonfly pictures are wonderful -- we get lots of dragonflies around here as well. They are so cool, aren't they? You speak so beautifully about your mum and dad. Your dad is such a special person to be so dedicated to your mum like that. Alzheimer's is such a heartbreaking disease. Hugs.

baukje said...

Wonderful photos, I think you could win a price with those!!!!!! And how sad that your mum is slipping away more and more, how very sad for your dad....
Hope you all together will have a wonderful Christmas.
The atmosphere in your house says: you are welcome!

sandie said...

Oh Lizzie, your home looks so beautiful and inviting and the dragon-fly photo's are stunning,they are little miracles in nature aren't they? I was moved to tears when you spoke of your Mum and Dad with such love and care. You will have to hold your mothers memories in your heart with yours. Take care, Sandie.

Jen said...

Hello Lizzie, Your photography is amazing the dragon -fly wings look so delicate. lovely creatures.The decorations for Christmas in your home are beautiful.I love the tree and the doorways. Your dear Dad how sad for him. What a wonderful person he must be.Such love in your family. We have been through this.I wish you and your family the best Christmas ever.

Laurie in Iowa said...

Your photography is amazing. Thanks for sharing your beautifully decorated home with us.

~Laurie~ said...

OH Lizzie - the house looks so very pretty - one day I will visit you in person. Your decorating style is so like my dreams - I can't wait for the day to meet you.

My Mom too is suffering from Alzheimer's. Our situation is very different from yours - my Dad passed away in 1999. My Mom has pined for him since and her loss of reality hasn't been as painful for me (she also lives 2500 miles away - so I don't see her very often now). She and I did not have a normal mother/daughter relationship and so losing her happened when I was a small child :( But, with all that said, the disease is a cruel disease and my heart breaks to know that she will lose her sense of self and the ability to care for herself. I agree with you that your Dad will need so much support from you - he is losing his love and his heart. He will need loving care from you - I know that will come naturally for you. You will be his gift in the coming years - a gift that will last through the eternities. May your heart be comforted this holiday season and may you remember the memories of your Mom from a happier day. Many warm hugs being sent your way - all the way from Texas.

Sue said...

Your home looks so gorgeous and Christmassy Lizzie. I love dragonflies too and spend lots of time drawing them but never as well as your photos look.

Suztats said...

Your home looks so inviting all decorated for Christmas. (I'm behind....and I think we'll decorate the tree today....no it's not a real one)
I love your pics of the dragonfly! Gorgeous detail!
It's difficult to lose a parent, but to watch it happen by degrees must be heart-wrenching. I wish you Peace and Blessings this Christmas.

Christine said...

I'm in love with your home so beautifully decorated for Christmas!
Thanks so much for sharing!
Christine
preferablyprim.blogspot.com

Kim said...

A lovely, festive and cozy home you've made. Thanks for inviting us inside, and also, thank you so much for the wonderful posts you have made to your blog throughout the year. I've enjoyed them. Happy holidays! :-D

Cath said...

Hi Lizzie,
I found your blog quite by accident and I loved it so much, I have decided to create one of my own. Played around abit today ....good job I have a computer savvy daughter who could help.... but I digress, because I just wanted to tell you how inspiring your blog is and I so love your little slice of paradise...thanks for sharing :)

El Desván de la Gata Perezosa said...


I like your photographs, beautiful blog!

Lisa Tucker said...

I love, love, love, love love your kitchen! Your home is beautiful!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin