Thursday, 29 December 2011

Christmas rundown....

We had a really good christmas here at 'a house in the country', the weather was kind, not too hot but lovely and sunny. Christmas day saw us heading down the road (80kms) to our eldest daughters.


 


 ..the kids had their own table and entertained us with their mischief and wit, mostly from the teenagers and mostly from the teenage boy...


I managed to get the photos I wanted of Mum and Dad although they didn't stay for long, Mum was far too restless and disorientated....



I shall treasure this one taken by our daughter, it's a lovely shot of Mum, Dad and I...


it was hot enough for lots of this during the afternoon, uncles, dads and almost step-dads all become kids again when there's a pool to bomb and jump into, especially when they can manage to splash those sitting on the decks. little cousins just can't resist the urge to push a big cousin in....


..the American (on the left) had his first Aussie christmas and admitted that it just didn't feel like christmas but he was trying his best to enjoy it...!! by the looks of things, he did.. :o)



 
 there were lots of these to cool me down whilst sitting next to the pool and apparently....


..I'm ambidextrous as I can hold my reindeer beer and play with my camera at the same time...pretty clever huh? :o) 






 Boxing day saw everyone at 'a house in the country' and the giant bubble containers I had put in the kids stockings came out to play in the sunshine...


the kids had a ball blowing bubbles and when the containers were empty filled them from my dishwashing liquid...!! A drop of cooking oil, a small amount of dishwashing liquid, topped up with water and it works fine...


left to right...Caitlin, Sam and Eden lined up making giant bubbles...



bubbles in the roses and...


 
 ...bubbles in the air...


our son-in-law surprised our eldest daughter with a DSLR for christmas, needless to say she was thrilled and now I seem to be getting caught on the other side of the lens...  :o)







Dad checking out the wonders of digital and....

...another of Mum and I taken by our daughter again.... These photographs and memories from Sunday and Monday are even more precious as Mum was admitted to the aged care dementia ward of the hospital on Tuesday night/early hours of Wednesday morning. They've done a barrage of tests and at this stage they think she may have had a mini stroke, tomorrow she is being assessed for long term high level care. Dad and I will be there to hold her hand even though she doesn't know me at all now...


 I almost forgot to show you the railway man's gift finished and framed.... ..forgive the light reflection, I had it stashed at Millrose and took the photograph there before I brought it home. he was suitable impressed and loves it, it now lives on our lounge room wall and looks beautiful if I do blow my own trumpet :o) as do these I must say... ...they were a last minute gift for our sons-in-law, the American of course was the recipient of the stars and stripes and the Brit received the union jacks, both were very pleased and both loved them which is always nice when you're giving hand made gifts to men...they look so good on my chesterfield that I might just have to make some for me, some southern cross ones too for good old Aus....


it's nice to be able to sit and blog again without feeling guilty that I should be doing something else, the quiet time between christmas and new year hasn't been quite as calm as it usually is for me, running up and down to see Mum and Dad has taken it's toll and I'm tired this week so I'm taking it easy between trips. I'll be back early next week as I've got a little new year giveaway for you but you have to own an iPhone and it has to be a 4, so if you do, keep watching...


wishing you all, friends near and far, friends old and new, a safe, happy, healthy and prosperous 2012, may you achieve everything you wish for yourself.....
XXX

21 comments:

Fiona said...

Some gogeous photo's and memories there Lizzie. I hope things go smoothly with your mum's transition into care. Hugs to you.

Fee X

Copper Patch said...

What lovely memories you've created with your mum, Lizzie.
Take care,
Ab xx

Lynne said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful couple of days; I'm so glad you got to spend some of that time with your mum too.

Jan-Maree said...

A lovely post -thankyou for sharing - sorry about your Mum, glad you had a happy Christmas with her.

Kate said...

Lovely memories Lizzie, sending warm wishes to you and especially your mum ...hope things are on the improve for her soon. Xox

Margaret said...

What a great post this is! I love all the pics of family -- and I love that your daughter is taking pics of you now as well. Sorry to hear about your mum. I hope she gets better. Interesting about the bubble recipe -- thanks! And love those pillows and DH's present too!

Cheri said...

What a lovely, fun family you have Lizzie. How precious the pictures of your Mom. Hopefully she is resting comfortably and is calmed by your presence. Take care of you!

Robin Hill Quilts~Eileen G. said...

Your photographs are so beautiful~I am actually craving the warm feel of the sunlight that you managed to capture....what a beautiful family~ Your photos really represent that "circle of life" we all experience in so many different ways over the holidays~trying to blend the heavy stuff with the joy.....(like eating Christmas cookies while on the way to the hospital...oh my..)Thank you so much for taking us along with you all year long with life as you see it~have a wonderful New Year!!♥E

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

Happy memories made and shared- I am sorry about the struggles you have with your Mom. You are a good, caring daughter, and a strong woman. Well wishes to all of you.
kim

~Laurie~ said...

So funny to see all of you in the warm sun - enjoying wading and wearing shorts! We were one of the few places in the states that had a white Christmas!

I'm glad that your Mom is in the assisted living facility - she will be well cared for and the burden will not be so difficult for your Dad. Although, I know how hard it must be for the both of you to see her go. Stay strong and know prayers are being said for you throughout the world. Sending joy to you and your family for this coming 2012.

PS - The photos are LOVELY!

KijkDaarIs said...

What a beautiful pictures!!!!!

CHRIS said...

Happy Days Lizzie, memories of young and old tucked away for always. xxx

taylorsoutback said...

From the beautiful bubbles in your garden and seeing photos of your family so happy to eyes that welled up when reading about your Mom. How blessed to have those wonderful times to bring close to your heart.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers as you walk down this different pathway with your Mom.

Kim said...

Will be fun to have another photographer in the family so we can see more of you now. I'm hoping for all transitions and changes going on with family go as well as possible. Happy New Year.

Quilt Station said...

Liz, great photo's, and wonderful memories for you. Over the last month or so I've been pondering trying to squeeze in a trip back to NZ to see my Mum, who is in the earlyish stages of Alzheimers, her long term memory is still good but short term is gone. You've made me realise I do need to go, not just for Mum's sake but just as importantly to make lots of memories for me, while she still knows me and we can still have a laugh together. Your smiling face in these photo's with your Mum is delightful to see, but I'm sure there is sadness there which you are keeping well hidden.

Oh and PS, I'll keep reading and I have an iphone 4 hehe Happy New Year and see you soon
Margaret xx

the running chicken quilting said...

Beautiful photos...happy new year from a very grey and dark UK!! Lovely to see the sunshine!

Sue-Anne said...

Looks like you had a fantastic Christmas with your family and I am so happy that you had some lovely moments with your mum. I hope everything goes ok with her and your dad and wish you and your family a Happy New Year.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Wonderful pictures as always...so glad you had some special moments with your mom!

Happy New Year and all the best for a very creative 2012!

Leanne said...

Looks like a wonderful Christmas was had by all.

saleem mohd. said...

Free Social Media Marketing where Every thing will be Free, Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, Twitter Tweets, Twitter Re-Tweets, Twitter Favorites, Google Plus Followers, StumbleUpon Followers, Youtube Views, Youtube Likes, Youtube Subsribes, Pinterest Followers, Pinterest Likes, Pinterest PinIt, Free Website Visitors.
Just Join now and Free Increase your Social Media Networks.
GetLikeFast.com

saleem mohd. said...

Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited. Visit the Best Lol Network Ever, where you can every thing is lol and Funny, Troll Images, Funny Vidoes, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures and Much More Fun and Entertainment
lolsgag.com

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin