Wednesday, 11 January 2012

1000 paper cranes....

...well I have 10 and that's a start! My friend Baukje from France was making them on new years eve and new years day and offered to send 10 (one for every 100) to anyone that commented on her post.....well I did and today there were 10 beautifully folded origami cranes in my mailbox.....






...gorgeous aren't they? 


 do you know the story of the cranes, I didn't until I read it on Baukje's blog, this is taken from her blog post (I'm sure she won't mind)..... 




 " In Japan it is commonly said that folding 1000 paper cranes makes a person's wish come true. A thousand paper cranes are traditionally given as a wedding present by the father , who is wishing a thousand years of happiness and prosperity upon the couple. The thousand origami cranes was popularized through the story of Sadako Sasaki, a Japanese girl who was exposed to radiation from the atomic bombing in Hiroshima during the World War 11. Sasaki soon developed leukemia and, inspired by the cranes legend, began making origami cranes with the goal of making one thousand. In a popular version of the story as told in the book about Sadako, she folded only 644 before her death; in her honor her friends completed the rest and buried them all with her. In an alternate version of the story she completed the 1000 cranes before her death."





Sadako's short life has also inspired another sort of legacy: the Children's Peace Monument in Hiroshima. After Sadako's death , her classmates sought to honour their friend by creating a monument to mourn all the children who died from atomic bombing.



Beneath the pedestal , there is an inscription: 


This is our cry. This is our prayer. For building peace in the world.


when I opened the envelope with my cranes in there was a little note from Baukje, it simply said... "some cranes for a better world, Baukje xx"


What a beautiful sentiment, thank you Baukje. I'm taking the cranes as a symbol for a better year for myself, now I have to learn to fold them, I can't imagine not adding to them. I don't know that I'll get a thousand made but if I can make 100 then I'll make my wish...!!


XX

8 comments:

baukje said...

Oh Lizzie what a beautiful post. Thank you . The cranes went to many countries I hope They will help you and others for a better life/world

patchworkdelights said...

What a moving story and very interesting. Beautiful cranes too.

Christine said...

they are beautiful...

Margaret said...

They are beautiful. I knew about the 1000 paper cranes, but couldn't remember the details. Thanks for explaining. Here's hoping for a better world.

Lynne said...

I wonder how they's go in stiffened fabric? Just a thought!

Quiltaholic said...

Thank you for reminding me of my heritage and fondly remembering my mother. I can fold these in my sleep! I learned when I was 7. Going to the store this weekend and get some beautiful origami paper and see how long it takes me. Thank you for sharing *HUGS*

Leanne said...

What an inspiring post to wake up to. They are beautiful.

Martha L.Freeman said...

Hi, Neat post. There's a problem together with your site in internet explorer, could check thisกK IE nonetheless is the marketplace leader and a huge component of other people will miss your magnificent writing because of this problem.
Allora Vienna Series Intermediate Oboe Model AAOB-802

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin