Saturday, 14 January 2012

It's the weekend again........

...yesterday I had lunch with Annie, Jodie and Bianca at Millrose Cottage and of course we had to have a little excursion next door to fondle some fabric....



 ...the face behind the brand new camera is Annie's, we had a little duel with camera's... :o) As usual, the food was awesome (risotto with mushroom, chicken and spinach for me....yummmm) and I was too busy eating to take a photograph. I bought a little fabric too, as you do, most of it was wool for my new quilt (which I haven't mentioned yet have I?) but I bought a sliver of this gorgeous linen to make this...


(apologies for the photo quality, I suddenly realised that I couldn't take the photo with MY camera....duh! So had to use the railway mans point and shoot....!)

...way back here I made a sleeve to go over my camera strap. I've always disliked the way the strap is just an advert for Nikon, Canon and the rest are the same too, names blazoned across your neck and chest...not my style I'm afraid, so hence the sleeve. It just slipped over the original Nikon strap and did the job but it was never long enough for me. I've never carried my camera around my neck, it's just plain annoying, so I would always end up with it slung over my shoulder which isn't really the safest place to carry it..! Last week, Leanne did a post about the strap she had made for her camera which made me think that it was about time I replaced mine too..! I did a bit of research and bought the fabric yesterday. Last night I decided to get it done, I had some photographs to take today and I just wanted to be able to sling my camera across my body and not worry about hanging on to it...!
After I had destroyed my Nikon strap I realised that I had to make it work otherwise I had no strap at all...!! I cut up a Katie's recyclable bag (it was white as opposed to the green of the supermarket ones) to make the tabs strong and stiff enough to carry the weight of the camera, the strap itself has iron on interfacing doubled and bamboo batting (because I had some strips already cut) layered in there. I stitched it down in four lines to make it lie flat and the tabs are actually stitched six times, over and over and over...! This baby is never going to give way! An hour and a half later I had this....






(once again apologies, it was really hard trying to get a photograph to show you exactly where the camera sits now)

it actually hangs right at the top of my thigh and the camera tends to sit slightly to the back which is perfect. it doesn't get in the way at all, is secure and is easy to grab and use without having to take it off my shoulder...I love it. I wore it for hours this morning while taking photos at the farmers market and it was so comfortable that I forgot I had it on, it sits so nicely, no rubbing on my neck! I love that it reflects me, myself and I and not a camera company!!

So, the new quilt.....well, it's a Quilted Crow Girls pattern, wool and cotton, I wanted to get it started as any day now my new Sue Spargo BoM is going to arrive in my mail box, great excitement I can tell you. 'Earth and Twigs' is the name of the 2012 BoM and I can't wait to see the colours, I really would like to keep up with the months but I'm not going to commit myself!!! There are things I'd like to get back into this year, I gave a few things up and put some stuff on hold while I was running up and down for Mum and Dad, I'm hoping that this year will settle a little, that I can still do some working days, move ahead with my photography, I've committed to doing another day at the Community house, so that's two lessons a week I'll be teaching..

I'll take some photos of the Quilted Crow one, although there isn't much to see yet, the fabrics are lovely though.....pale blues, reds with some mustard in there too....

Mum is settling into the home and I haven't been down since Wednesday, it was time for a little break from the road up and down the mountains. I'll see her again on Tuesday and hopefully she'll be settled even more.....

Right, need to stack the dishwasher, wonder when they'll invent one that stacks itself, and then it's in front of the idiot box for some mystery and drama I think....
See you all soon...
XX

8 comments:

Posie Patchwork said...

Oh you must be trusty & have your camera license. I still have to use the Nikon strap & carry my D70 around my neck like a total tourist, as i've donked it too many times by not carrying it in the correct padded position (oh just thought, it's even protected by my boobs!!)
What a fun day & ace girls to play with, love Posie

Margaret said...

How gorgeous is that camera strap you made? I love it! Love the dueling cameras too! lol! I can't wait to see your new projects. The Quilted Crow Girls pattern sounds intriguing. I already know what the Sue Spargo one looks like, but not the materials for it, of course. Looking forward to that too! I still kick myself for not joining last year's -- I still love that Imperial Blooms one (is that what it was called?)

Good to hear your mom is settling in. Good also to hear that you will have more time -- you deserve a break from all that driving to and fro!

CHRIS said...

Hi Lizzie, good to hear life is calming. Can't wait to see Quilted Crow quilt I have one waiting wonder if its the same. Happy days chrisb xx

simplestitches said...

what a great idea with your camera strap...very handy!

Sue-Anne said...

You have used some beautiful fabric for your strap - looks great!

Looking forward to seeing your quilted Crow work and glad to hear that your mum has settled in and that you are having a little time out for yourself.

Leanne said...

Dueling cameras sounds like fun. Glad to be some inspiration I love the fabric you have used. I went walking with mine yesterday, they are so much more comfortable.

Annie said...

Hi Lizzy, we did have fun dint's we!! I LOVE how your strap turned out - might have to make one myself.

Sue said...

I love your new strap, hope some of your mojo will rub off on me. I need to get my life happening again soon. My Earth and Twig is week 3 then two weeks travelling, yikes, I can't wait!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin