Saturday, 21 January 2012

rug-a-long....

I don't know about the rug bit, 'cos mine's not really looking anything like a rug right now! I guess it will eventually, but I'm definitely alonging...
Unlike Jodie who is cutting/ripping the fabric for hers and Clare who is doing hers from old clothing I decided to use a couple of the zillion jelly rolls I have (they multiply when you're not looking, prolific breeders are jelly rolls!!) so I don't have to cut anything......







...these are 'summers end' by kansas troubles quilters and 'oasis' by 3 sisters.......





...I wanted to have a good balance of light and dark in the rug........


I'm also not making mine round like the others.....I just love being different..  :o)





...I really want mine to end up as an oval..! (all suggestions/tips/helpful advice gratefully received) I want to put it in front of the wood stove in the kitchen (hope I don't set fire to it...;o) It doesn't quite look like much of anything right now does it..? sigh, hope it improves or else the dogs will have a nice mat in their bed..!!


If you're interested you can see some more in the flickr group here...

11 comments:

Gayle said...

I almost think this is criminal for you to be using Good quality fabric like this to make a rug - perhaps you could send that gorgeous stuff to me and in return I'll send double the amount of inferior stuff - LOL

beebee said...

I'm with Gayle on this one. I can send you lots of inferior stuff perfect for a rug. and you can send me all those beautiful jelly rolls.
I made a rug like this when I was a teenager back in the 60s. My mom was a seamstress and we had lots of scraps. we tore them, braided them and made a really nice rug for my bedroom. I wish I would have kept it.
this makes me want to make a rug too!
hugs
beebee

Jodie said...

I say hang all that and use the good stuff. I'm using all quilting fabrics too. Have just posted the how to for plaiting so we won't need to sew, and I think you are spot on so far. I like the idea of an oval rug....maybe next time.

Judith said...

To make an oval rug you need to take about eighteen inches of plait fold it in half and sew it together so it ends up nine inches, then coil it round and round this foundation. If this doesn't make sense email me.

Sue said...

OK Lizzie have you cut them down to 1.5 inches or are you working them at 2.5"? They look great and oval is just as easy as round, I remember from the 60s too when I last made one from old stockings, (That wore well but the colour was "Beige").

mdgtjulie said...

I think it looks fabulous so far. I love the colors in it. It's going to be gorgeous!!! Keep up the good work.

Kaisievic said...

Beautiful fabric in your jelly rolls - good luck with the rug making.

Hugs, Kaye xoxox

Margaret said...

It looks great so far! Years and years ago, I was making a braided rug. Don't know what happened to it -- I never finished it. I remember the sewing the braids together part as being rather hard. :D Sorry, no tips from me as I don't really remember how to do it anymore. lol!

btw, thanks again for the iPhone cover. I keep forgetting to email you -- it came a couple of days ago. Love it!

Cath said...

Love the fabrics (they made me drool!) and I think the mat will turn out superb!

LesQuilts said...

Hi!
My grandmother and her mother used to make these on the farm, on the long winter's nights. I used to send a lot of evenings looking at how they made them instead of sleeping when I was young!
If you want oval, I think the starting rounds should be rectangular and long! Otherwise, if you go with the layout in the picture, it will become more round than oval after a few more rounds!
Good Luck!
Take care, Leslie

Karen said...

I have a couple jelly rolls with no plans for them. Your mats are a good idea.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin