Sunday, 8 January 2012

Some sewing, some printing and some giving away....

First off today I just want to say thanks to you all for your messages of support and friendship, I haven't replied individually but please know that I appreciate every comment, thank you.... xxx 



 I've been kept busy this weekend, our eldest granddaughter, Sam, has been staying and as usual she has to rummage through my fabric stash and make 'stuff'.....

she spent part of yesterday making this.....


  ...and this, pillowcases for her bed, with those seam joins she's going to be an awesome quilter one day... :o) 

Then today she started these...


...disappearing four patch squares for cushions for Mum's room, I've finished them but she did a really good job on the tops. Only needed telling once how the cuts and turns go and she powered ahead. 

I was busy messing around on the computer sorting some photographs to print and frame to help make Mum's room a little more comfortable. These are the one's I've framed already...
(oops, now you can see that my table runner hasn't been bound yet, I'll get to it soon I hope....  :o)

...and I've printed photographs of all 15 of their great grandchildren, they're all named so that the nurses can interact with them. I've laminated these so that she can have them pinned on her cork board and she can also carry them around if she wants to.....  

 she constantly puts things in her pockets and just wanders around holding onto things... I'll be there tomorrow with Dad so I'm hoping for a better visit than last Friday. Sam is going home tomorrow too so I thought that she should make herself useful once more before she leaves....


we decided to go low tech for the draw for the iPhone case....


....so Margaret, it's yours. congratulations I know you're going to love it, I'm sure I've got your snail mail somewhere but perhaps you'd better send it to me anyway, I'm not very organised just lately...


That's it folks for another few days, I need to get back to some sewing this week, I want to make a quilt for Mum, all the ones I've made for them are at home with Dad and I just want to make a simple, quick quilt that can be thrown in the washer and dryer without having conniptions about it. I just want her to have that comfort of a quilt on her bed or chair, they're such tactile things, quilts, that they are ideal for Alzheimer's/Dementia sufferers as they constantly touch things...
Time to clean the kitchen....sigh, Sam and I made pizza for dinner, very nice it was too but we're messy cooks...! She's on the macbook in the lounge so I guess it's my turn to clean....
XXX

11 comments:

mdgtjulie said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. My blog reading has been spotty lately, and it sounds like I've missed a lot. Maybe you could make a name patch for her quilt? Something that has her name on it that won't wash off, so they know who it belongs to? And to help her remember when she starts to forget. Everything my grandma had had her name and room number on it. Then she could look at her blankie or corn bag or whatever and know who she was and where she was supposed to be. Good luck and I'll be saying prayers for you and your whole family.

baukje said...

Your granddaughter shall become a quilter, I am sure!!!!!!! And what a very good idea to laminated the grandchildrens photos with their names on it.
I think doing this things will help you with the grief you feel........Bon courage,hugs Baukje

Lynne said...

The photographs are a lovely idea. I hope your visit tomorrow goes well.

Margaret said...

You are such a lovely person. The photographs for your mom. They're wonderful, and the pics of the great grandkids with names are so perfect for her too. I hope your visit goes better this time.

Sam is definitely going to be a great quilter someday. She did a great job with the pillowcases and cushions!

And finally -- thank you! I got my iPhone for Christmas and am not fully satisfied with the iPhone case I got for it. Now I will be! I just have to figure out how to remove this one and put the new one on when it comes. lol! I'll email you. I'm excited!

Janet said...

I remember going through the process of making sure my mom had lots of pictures of family at the extended care facility where she lived for her last 3 - 4 years. She died almost nine years ago. I wish you lots of strength for the time ahead and peace for your mom.

the running chicken quilting said...

How wonderful your collection of photos are....your mum is very lucky! Keep going....thoughts from the UK xxx

Sue-Anne said...

Hi Lizzie, I have been thinking of you. Lovely post with your grand daughter, definately a quilter in the making!

Love the photos, great idea with the great grandchildren. I was thinking that perhaps you could holepunch a corner of each one and place them on a binder ring, then she can keep them all together and flick through them.

Mystica said...

What thought has gone into things for your Mum. I specially like the idea of the photos of the children with their names on it. Wonderful idea.

Lurline said...

Lizzie, I am just so sad for you all - I get teary eyed each time I try to write, so I'll finish off now - God bless all!
Love and hugs - Lurline♥

Karen said...

I'm doing some blog catching up Lizzie and had to say your granddaughter is gorgeous - that first pic you took of her is beautiful and she's obviously talented too!
Lovely idea to name all the photos for your mum and her carers to be able to communicate with them.

John Locke said...

No matter how much memories infact good memo you have just use Ink Toner Cartridges to print your memories and decorate your rooms with nice and pleasant memories.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin