Monday, 2 April 2012

Somebody told me it was April already....

...that can't be right can it...?? Where did March go, I know I was busy but that's a little ridiculous isn't it..?


Just before Sarah's wedding I picked up a squishy parcel at the post office and to my utter surprise and delight it was this... ..do you remember last year I was part of a quilting bee, The Bee Balm, we had members from around this blue planet of ours and I made some amazing friends online through it. anyway, September was supposed to be my month (I was the last in the round) and I pulled out. I had things to sort out with my parents as you know and life was piling up around me like the flotsam and jetsam of the oceans, I was okay with not having my month, I had after all had a great time doing the other eleven months but my very good friend from Western Australia, the lovely Sue, decided that she would organise for the modern log cabin blogs I wanted, to be done anyway...!! Not only did she bully (in the nicest possible way of course) the others to finish the blocks, she put the quilt together herself and quilted it....I've already told you Sue, but I love, love, love my quilt! It's the first totally finished quilt I've ever been given and the friendship and love that's sewn into it will warm me every time I touch it, which just happens to be every night as it lives on the back of my couch, thank you again to all my BB friends..XXX 


I have been doing some stuff for the last few weeks, just not had time for blogging in the last few weeks :o) 


Hmm, where to begin?


Well of course a huge slice of time was taken up with our local quilt show, lots of hard work setting up then on your feet for the whole weekend, it's hard work looking at all that amazing talent  :o)


it was a fabulous weekend and we all had a ball....




Karen (no blog) and I on the last day of the show...


..the theme of the show was 'Stars in your eyes', so there was plenty of movie paraphernalia around, movie posters and such... ..and Karen doing a little extra curricula flirting with Darth... (sorry Karen, couldn't resist :o) there is no way I can tell you what was being said here, I'd have to be R rated I think..  ;o)
 Brenda wrestling with the floral arrangements....and lastly on the quilt show front....




this is the very talented Margaret from Quiltstation. Margaret was at Millrose on the Thursday before the show for sit and sew with us, she just happened to have brought some show and tell with her, her latest finish 'naughty but nice', and we hijacked it to put in the show....she won a first prize!!! Congratulations Margaret, aren't you glad you let us quiltnap your piece... ?


I've also been working with Sue at Millrose, really, it's more like playing than working!! I did some photography work for her last week, they had the first of the cooking classes with their chef and I took the photographs which was heaps of fun plus they fed me too.......yummy!!

 
..here's Shane showing Judith how to make beetroot pasta, if this was a colour shot (it was originally) you would be able to see the pasta is red and let me tell you it was delicious too..!!




  this was our lunch on the way, making me hungry just looking at the shots again...!!


I've been running up and down seeing mum and dad too, dad still isn't comfortable driving across town to see mum on his own so I've been picking him up and going with him a couple of times a week, we've cut our trips down to once a week now, it's better for mum as she hates a disturbance to her routine now, it really gets her agitated when things change..she's doing well though, as good as we can expect so that makes things a little easier...


On Saturday I did a class with Judy Newman at Millrose, it's a hand pieced quilt that I think I showed you before? 
 this is 'Museum Medallion' and it's just lovely. everything a quilt should be, soft with a beautiful drape to it, gentle colours, hand stitched and quilted and just a pleasure to look at and touch...




these were the fabrics I chose to start with, I've been wanting to make a red and teal/aqua quilt for a while, so thought I'd start with those colours and add some buttery yellows, orange and blues in the triangles and squares...

..please don't look too closely at my centre points ...! I unpicked a couple of times and I'm not doing any more reverse sewing!! I do love the colours though :o)

left to right..  Judy, Karen, me, Melissa, Carolyn and Sue at the front..
awesome day, great fun, great company, great food and hopefully a great quilt down the track...


so, I think that's it, I'm pretty sure I've covered everything, at least I hope as it could very well be another two weeks before I get back here....
perhaps not though, it's Easter this weekend and the kids are all coming for lunch on Sunday, looking forward to that and hoping we can have Easter lunch on our newly closed in (partly anyway) verandah. Perhaps I might make a Simnel cake again this year, it was delicious last year...

XXX

ps. I'm just uploading all the quilt show photos onto Flickr so I'll come back and leave a link when it's finished so you can see all the over 100 quilts if you would like to.....xx

here's the flickr link for the rest of the quilt photos

21 comments:

Jan-Maree said...

A lovely quilt and a lovely friend - aren't you a lucky girl!

Margaret said...

Oh my -- how lovely to receive such a beautiful quilt from your Bee Balm friends! It is gorgeous! Love seeing the quilt show pics. That class quilt is amazing! I would have huge problems making the points meet in the center too. I can never figure out how to do that star without the points being all wonky in the middle. :( Glad to hear your mom is doing well as can be. Sounds like you and your dad are doing the right thing cutting the visits down. You are doing amazing things as usual. it's always fun to see what's going on with you. Have a great Easter with your family!

Wonky Girl said...

Well, you are wonderfully blessed to have such great friends and oh my what a beautiful quilt!

taylorsoutback said...

What a special quilting friend you have - that log cabin quilt is just so wonderful - I can see why you keep it close by!

And after looking at all your photos of the show and being at the quilt shop - it reminded me of just how happy we all are when surrounded by quilts and quilting friends. Aren't we a lucky bunch to have this is in our lives...

Kate said...

Sue has done a lovely job wrangling us and our blocks into your gorgeous quilt...really glad you like it Lizzie.
I love your new project, the colors you've chosen are so fresh. I'm still hand quilting my version of this lovely quilt (its from the Shelburne Museum). Look forward to following your progress.

Sue-Anne said...

What a wonderful surprise receiving that quilt, its beautiful!

I love that Museum Medallion quilt and am looking forward to watching yours grow. Happy Easter.

Quilt Kitty said...

The medallion quilt you are making looks great in those colours. The quilt Sue finished for you is gorgeous & so special = what a wonderful friend. Tracee xx

Sue said...

Wow Lizzie, I knew you'd been busy but when you write it all down its amazing.
Thanks for the kind words about your quilt (I think the others are still talking to this whip cracker!)
Glad you're back and please don't leave us alone so long.

Annie said...

Gorgeous gorgeous photos Lizzy - I hadn't realised it was April quite yet. Hmmm

Annie said...

Forgot to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE your new quilt - what a treasure to love.

Teresa said...

Congrats on receiving the finished quilt! It was fun to be a part of it and be able to thank you in a small way for organizing the bee. I've enjoyed the friendships made there! I LOVE that medallion quilt...and it is so pretty with the teal and red...I know you will enjoy working on that one!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Jen said...

Hi Lizzie,I'm glad to hear your Mum and Dad are getting settled,
What beautiful loving friends you have and a beautiful quilt to treasure.
Have a Happy Easter with the family.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

That squishy parcel is the best! What a gorgeous quilt!

Esther said...

Georgeous quilt! What a beautiful suprise.
Happy Easter!

Karen said...

You have been just a tad busy!!
The quilt you received is beautiful Lizzie - and so thoughtful of your friends to do that for you, much deserved.
I love the colours of your new quilt - such a lovely combo aqua blues and red.
Have a lovely Easter.
xx

imquilternity said...

Wow...that's a really gorgeous quilt! I love Log Cabin quilts/blocks...they are so simple and yet so beautiful. Plus, you get to use a bunch of great fabrics. :) I want to invite you to visit my blog because I'm having a giveaway. It's fabric so you might like it.

gisèle said...

Votre log cabine est très jolie, je viens tout juste d'en finir.
J'ai aimé faire cela.
Le vôtre est fantastique.
Vous pouvez voir lr mien dans mon blog en un clic sur l'image.
Gisèle du Canada

Kris said...

Such a beautiful quilt! You are so lucky to have such great friends. I so nearly went to the quilt show, wish I had now it looks spectacular! Your March looks wonderful!

Francien said...

Never a dull moment in your life lately Lizzie.....it all can be overwelming somethimes but it was lovely to hear from you again....the log cabin quilt is a dream!!...the colors are so beautiful....makes me want to make a scrappy lc one again....the other quilt is a beauty too....lovely pictures!!...take care....greetings Francien.

Susie said...

I love the Museum Medallion quilt - I don't think I have ever seen a photo up close. I think I may have to try this one too one day. I love's Judy's work. Just finishing off one of her's for my daughter. Adore your log cabin one too!

Lynne said...

That finished quilt is a lovely gift!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin