Friday, 22 June 2012

Winter....



...is not my favourite season of the year, it's cold, the wind blows and it's wet...!!!! If we're lucky here in our little village, we might get a snowfall or two over the coldest months of July and August, it's a small compensation for being at least seven or eight degrees colder than Melbourne on most days. This week has been one of those weeks, cold, wet, windy and downright dull and dark at 3pm on most days...


I know, I know, this is Australia and we're living in the lucky country and I'm sorry for my friends in the UK where, I'm told, the sun has forgotten how to shine this summer. I don't expect you to listen to my whining about the weather, feel free to click on out of here now!! I promise I won't be offended...   :o) It has been very cold very early this year and most of us are over it already, the winter solstice was yesterday so the minute daily lengthening of the days has been heralded with much joy even though we all know that the coldest months are still to come....sigh!!!! 


Anyway, I'm not here to totally whine about the weather, honestly I'm not but I was rained out yesterday on a photography trip to Melbourne with Jen and I was seriously disappointed to not be able to try out my new camera..!! 
Yep, I bought a new Nikon D7000 and I love it, I did manage a bit of practice down in Geelong on Monday...



...the bay was like a millpond......


...dark and moody.....


 

...still and reflective...


perfect photography weather, whereas yesterday was, well, wet...!!



..under the clocks at Flinders Street station, looking across to the famous Young and Jackson's, home of Chloe..

















the streets and alleyways of Melbourne were cold, wet and full of people hurrying to be anywhere but out in the rain.... 
 

























...the roads, wet and slick, the sound of sirens loud and strident in the rain.....











































the arcades though, well they tell a different story...













































...a bounty of ornate Victorian architecture..





















..full of light and colour...

 
















...amazing little shops full of beautiful things....































...and tempting, delectable delights....

 

...everywhere you turn...


We had a great day, Jen & I, did some shopping, indulged ourselves a little, ate a little, ran from shop to shop in the rain, laughed a little and talked a lot. Had hot chocolate on the cold and windy Southern Cross station and went our separate ways with the promise of doing it all again for our birthdays in two weeks......the perfect winters day with the best of friends.....thanks Jen!

21 comments:

Margaret said...

Lizzie, you are so talented. What lovely pictures, and lovely words to go with them. I love seeing all the sites since I will probably never get to see them myself. You live in such a neat country. Congrats on the new camera! And happy early birthday to you too!

Lynne said...

Yes, I agree - I too am over winter and we still have two months to go! :-(

Sue B said...

Wet and windy but still oh so wonderful. I loved looking at your pictures of Melbourne. Its the same story in Adelaide this week the wettest week since I cant rememeber.

paulette said...

Stunning photos!! Thanks for sharing your wonderful day...nothing like spending it with a friend who can brightened up any kind of day...and you get to do it all over again!! Lucky you!
P

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

Smashing photos! Had a hard time leaving that one with the cake display! Mmmm!

marie said...

Your photos are wonderful, especially the black/white ones. After living in sunny, hot south Florida for 40+ years the dull rainy grey winters of the Pacfic NW are wonderful. Cloudy days are my favorites.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

We are camera twins now :o) You'll have to let me know how you get on with it. :o)

baukje said...

I am so sorry for you. here in France the sun is shining although weather is not what it used to be in summer. Those black/white pictures are amazing, like an old postcard from the twenties.
You are really a talented lady my dear!!!!

Karen said...

Very much like the photos.
My dearest hubby is a photographer. He hates the harsh days & crabs when harsh days. He loves the overcast days, best for lighting.
Wishing you some overcast times for great depth to your photos.
And some harsh days to appreciate the differences.

Margaret said...

Sensational photos so clear and bright , the artistry of the camera and photographer are to be admired.

Chookyblue...... said...

great photos Liz......enjoy your new toy........I'm very envious.........

Sue said...

I love your photos and I love Melbourne. The reflected egret is beautiful and do I recognise the patisserie as a favourite of mine, the one I eat in a lot when staying at that cheap hotel in the lane?

Bronwyn said...

thanks so much for showing us your gorgeous photos - esp the bridal dress in the window - could be exactly what my sister is looking for - will bookmark the shop - stay warm!!

simplestitches said...

Yep Winter in all her glory at the moment...roll on Spring!

fantastic pics Lizzie...

Rafael's Mum said...

never mind the weather, your photos are just beautiful Lizzie! Love the bay shot and would you just look at that bird and reflection... amazing. Also particularly love the street shot in b&w. I has something, don't know what but it definitley does :-)

Karen said...

Amazing photos Lizzie, the bird one looks like a painting.
Sounds like a great day out - despite the dreary weather.

Seams Sew Together said...

Beautiful photos Lizzie, I have always admired your photos and what you do with them, any photos tips would be greatly appreciated.....in the mean time I will drool over you stunning shots.

Jen said...

Hello lovely girl. Love the photos and there is one there with me in it! Naughty naughty!
Was such a great day and I am so looking forward to sharing our re-invention day together again soon! :)

San-Dee said...

Lizzie, I love the black and whites! It's always been a favorite photography venue for my husband and me-though he takes much better pictures than I ever have. Your nerw camera sure is crisp, enjoy-enjoy-enjoy!

Jen said...

Thanks for your beautiful photography Lizzie. I especially love the boats and bay photo. I agree about the weather .Here on the NSW north east coast it has been freezing also.High wind swept seas coming in over the esplanade. Bring on summer.

Leanne said...

You may have guessed I'm catching up here. Great snaps and a new camera how exciting.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin