Monday, 2 July 2012

In front of the fire....

...today, because I've been battling a head cold for the last week, the rain hasn't stopped, it's cold and miserable, so I thought that I would sit and sew, watch a couple of chick flicks and sip on hot chocolate....ahhh, it's been lovely!


I think I told you that I was doing a workshop with Irene Blanck of In Focus Quilts a while ago, well the second day is coming up at the end of this month so today was a good day to stitch the third of four blocks that have to be done before then..... ...this is the maple leaf block that I did today, I've still got the stem to stitch down, I've done this in wool as I've decided to introduce a little felted wool into the blocks from now on...


 ...this one.... ...and this one...
were the first two I made on the day of the class...the next block has a sprig of tiny leaves and I'm hoping to get that done in the next week or two. 


 thanks for all your good wishes for my birthday this weekend, we had a lovely day on Saturday with the kids and grandkids, lots of noise, food, coffee and hugs...couldn't ask for more.. ...the railway man bought me snapdragons and stock so my kitchen smells of spring, which is nice considering it's the middle month of winter with days full of the above mentioned cold wind and rain!! I love their little snappy mouths, when we were kids we used to stick a finger in and let it 'snap'...! I was very spoilt at work too yesterday, with not only beautiful roses but a yummy breakfast next door at the cafe, thank you Sue, Raj, Michelle and Peggy for singing happy birthday and entertaining all the breakfast customers.. :o)


I wanted to share this link with you....the lovely Abbe from here is opening Victoria's newest quilt retreat it looks amazing and I can't wait to try it out and spend a weekend there with some stitching friends








I've also got some exciting news to share soon I hope, it involves a foreign country, a convent and a quilter....stay tuned..!!

15 comments:

Sue said...

Gorgeous things to admire Lizzie, those block look so exciting, love the newsprint fabric. Snapdragons are wonderful, lucky you.

Margaret said...

Hope you get rid of that cold -- not fun! Love your quilt blocks -- so pretty!!!! Love your flowers too -- I never knew that was why snap dragons were called that. lol! Beautiful flowers. Glad you had a good birthday celebration, both at home and work. Looking forward to hearing your news too!

Lynne said...

Glad to read you had a wonderful birthday. Hope you are feeling much better soon. I look forward to reading about the convent, the foreign country and the quilter.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Beautiful pictures! I can't wait to hear more about this mystery news...you've intrigued me :o)

Kaisievic said...

Love the leaf blocks, Lizzie. So glad that you had a nice birthday. I hope that your cold doesn't get any worse.

Sue B said...

Such lovely stitching lizzie, oh and how I love the snap dragons. I can remember my mum grew these when i was a little girl and I used to love to play with their snappy little mouths. Get well soon.

beebee said...

Hi Lizzie
I hope you feel better quickly. If I could bottle hot weather I could send you some. we are having 90+degree weather here....I have had enough of summer but it will be in the 90s now until sometime in September. UGH!
I love the leaves...so pretty!
hugs
beebee

mdgtjulie said...

Wow, that's a really interesting tease. I wonder... A convent, but not a nun... Hmmmmmmmm, I'll be thinking on that for a while, I think, lol. I wish for some of that cold water you have. It's ridiculously hot here in the states. Still, it's been nice until the last week, so I won't complain. I'm wishing you warmer weather, and maybe some sun now and again!!! Your quilt blocks are fascinating. I've never seen any pieced like that before. Good job getting them all done ahead of time. I'm sure I'd forget till the day before, and then be frantically trying to do things at the last minute. Can't wait to see your finished quilt too!

Irene Blanck said...

Hi Lizzie

LOVE your blocks and love that you're going to use wool. Can't wait to see the rest of your blocks. We next meet on 14 July, right? See you then!

Irene

Patty said...

Love the leaf block! Is that needle turn? WOW! And now I'm going to have to find some newspaper print fabric - I love that! Stay warm. I'm over here in Tennessee and it's 104. Have a great 4th!

taylorsoutback said...

Though sorry to hear you have been under the weather, reading about you being cozy next to the fire with hot cocoa is a relief for those of us who are going through one of the warmest summers in recent history. We are all about shorts,cool T shirts. Amaretto Slushes and giving thanks for Air Conditioning.

Looking forward to hearing more about that "mystery" posting:o)

Take care and be well.

baukje said...

I think I know what your news is!!!!!!
I did not forget your birthday but I was not quite well, had a very unpleasant inquire in the hospital monday. The results were okay so I feel a lot better now!!!!
So my CONGRATULATIONS for you although a bit late. I will sing for you here in France!!!!!
Looking forward to meet you.
xxx

Anna said...

I love it.
Best regrads.
Anna

Unknown said...

Very nice post, I like it.

Ducted Airconditioning Melbourne

Leanne said...

Lovely work Lizzie. I hope you are soon rid of your head cold there are cold everywhere here. I too love snapdragons my grandpa always grew them and like you as a child I loved sticking my finger in them.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin