Monday, 13 August 2012

some wool and an (almost) finish....

I haven't been around here very much just lately, still busy, busy with just a bit of busier still thrown in this month.....!!
I'm living between two houses at the moment, staying down here in Geelong with four of our grandchildren during the week and driving back up home on the weekends.....Sarah (our youngest daughter) and her new husband, Matthew, are in the States for three weeks. a combined honeymoon, packing up the rest of his belongings for Matthew and a celebration of their wedding with his family and friends in Minneapolis.

I guess it's like riding a bike, this looking after four children thing, you never seem to forget do you...? there are things that you remember as soon as they occur, like the propensity for cartoons in the morning,  or the sudden meteoric rise in temperature that signals a childhood illness or the lack of privacy that one has when there are four kids ranging from seven to almost 15 (two and a half weeks now she tells me)!! Their mum will be back next week then I'll go back to the railway man for a few days before I head off to Tassie with Sue for our workshop with Sue Spargo at The Quilted Crow Girls awesome church, then for me, a few days driving and shooting some of that amazing scenery in the apple isle..!! I'm guessing that I'll need that break after three weeks with the rebels..   ;o)

Here's my homework for the workshop in Tassie......
this pile of felted wool.....








...has become a sampler of leaves that will (I hope) have some fabulous embellishments on them when I return..!























I've been trying to get this finished too....




it's Ryan's 16th birthday today so I gave him his quilt even though it's not 'quite' finished, I still have to bind it and then big stitch the southern cross on top of the union jack. having english grandparents and an english father makes the union jack a part of his heritage (plus of course he's a huge Manchester United fan), his Dad was a little impressed too...  :o)

I was hoping to get out and do some photography while I was down here but it's just not happening, sick kids, doctors appointments, visiting mum (not as often as I'd like though), finishing the quilt and just generally looking after four kids all takes time and effort plus the weather has been ridiculously cold and wet here.......sigh, I'm so looking forward to summer! this winter seems to have been so long.....

16 comments:

Margaret said...

Wow, you are busy! And on the go! You are a good mother and grandmother for sure. (And daughter!) Love how your Sue Spargo project looks so far -- so exciting! And the quilt for Ryan -- gorgeous! I love it! Can't wait to see it finished. Good luck with the rest of the kid watching duties, and have fun at the class!

Robin Hill Quilts~Eileen G. said...

As you described your plans for your getaway for your Sue Spargo class I was thinking of how wonderful you will feel! A true respite after all your hard work! E

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

That quilt is stunning! You are awesome. And even fitting in a blog post with all that going on! You must be wearing a super hero cape!
Kim

Cath said...

I take my hat off to you and let me know where I can find that kind of energy! Beautiful projects on the go too. I really love the Union Jack (being of English heritage myself)
Cath
@ Bits 'n Bobs

Sue said...

I'm glad the 4 grandies didn't keep you so busy you couldn't make this wonderful quilt for Ryan.
Have fun with Sue Spargo, I should be coming just to finish off my half done project from the workshops here in WA!
Hope the RR man is coping without you there to cook for him.

Annie said...

Love both of those fabulous projects! You are a busyNanna Lizzy!

Sandra Henderson said...

Have missed your posts. I am going to make a quilt like your Union Jack!~I really love it!!!!~
I adore all of your work.
Hav fun with your grandchildren. You are so fortunate to be able to go to them and be with them.

Quilt Station said...

Oh yes the winter has been long :-(((

Your projects look fantastic Lizzie,love the felted wool and the Union Jack. Have fun in Tassie, stay warm and see you when you get back

M xx

Sarah said...

Hi Lizzie, I am sure you will love your Sue Spargo workshop. Have fun! :)

Cathy said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Love it!! Can you tell me where I can source this pattern, I am starting a union jack quilt collection and would love to make this one!!

Lynne said...

Sounds like you have been very busy!

I agree with you, winter has been long but the warmer days are starting to return!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

That Union Jack looks amazing! I bet it will be well used and well loved :o)

Celia Gibson said...

As always, love looking at your blog and the gorgeous projects you work on. Recently I was researching for a quilting machine and found an old post of yours where you were comtemplating buying a quilting frame (John Flynn/Brindabella).. did you ever get one ?
Best wishes

baukje said...

Honestly I don't envy you..... Four kids in that age, pffffffffffffffffff. You must be exhausted!!! Hope the workshop gave you some energy.
It's a pity that Italy is still so far..........
Baukje
xxx

homeschooled said...

I love that Union Jack. I have been thinking I wanted to make one. I guess it's all those things going in in GB lately. I did buy a Union Jack cushion in Laura Ashley, a pink one.

Sarah said...

It was GREAT meeting you at The Quilted Crow! I look forward to seeing your project grow and finish.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin