Sunday, 16 September 2012

Day 5 in Tassie...









I think the most liberating thing I've done for myself in the last couple of  years was to organise this week away in tasmania, nothing planned after the weekend with Sue Spargo, just get in the car and drive until I found a road that looked as if it might lead somewhere interesting! no one to please but me, stopping when and where I wanted, not worrying about what was going on back on the mainland...! 










it's not something I've ever done before, been a free spirit and not worried about others at all..!




































but that's exactly what I did, drove and stopped, bought breakfast, lunch and dinner....although one night I was reduced to macca's, only once though, the rest of the week I ate 'very' well, lots of great tassie seafood... yum!!















on wednesday I started the day in Launceston and first stop was cataract gorge. the railway man and I went there years ago, we only had two kids then and I think the youngest was only about 6 months old! not much has changed really, even the peacocks looked the same  :o)
 











very quiet there in the middle of the week....





















































..well, except for the group of young asian tourists who thought it would be great fun to jump up and down on the suspension bridge while I was about 2/3rds of the way over it...!
























if you knew me well you'd know that I have a terrible fear of heights, really. really. scary. stuff....


















I had been feeling quite proud of myself for actually getting on the bridge at all, thought I was doing really well too.....but I think I must have gone a deathly shade of something when it started to rock as one of the young men doing the jumping looked at me and stopped the others. he gently and slowly walked up to me, bowed, and apologised...



















apology graciously accepted I tried to walk the rest of the length of the bridge with what I hoped looked like a calm dignity.......I was probably madly clinging to the sides scrabbling to get myself to the other side really...!!!







the lovely little tea room...



























wonderful colour...




























more water shots.. :o)


























and winter flowers amongst.....








..the heralds of spring...

 ah, I miss tasmania already and I've only been back a week..... so much to photograph, thank goodness for digital.....
















  next stop..........oatlands, but that's for another day! time for me to pack up and get some sleep I think...

11 comments:

Margaret said...

What a wonderful trip to take! And you deserve it too! That bit on the suspension bridge doesn't sound like much fun, but at least one of the tourists stopped the others and apologized. Whew! Love all the pics! Seafood -- yum!

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

lovely photos! Sounds like a smashing trip!
for some reason I keep humming "A whiter shade of pale" ..... not so fond of heights myself.

Lynne said...

I've been to Cataract Gorge twice and I agree, it does have a timeless quality. Seafood -- yum!

Maree: said...

I've got a photo of myself at 17 on that bridge....still looks Beautiful..your photo's look amazing...
TFS your trip with us...Glad you had the chance to be a Free Spirit...so Good isn't it.
Cheers

Sue said...

Thank you so much for letting us share a bit of your gorgeous area of the world. I love your photos. Sue in mid MI, USA, http://suesjourneys.blogspot.com

Kris said...

Sounds like a great break. So nice to be able just to please yourself!

brodahl jahren said...

hat en flott tur å ta! Og du fortjener det også! Det litt på hengebroen høres ikke ut som mye moro, men minst en av turister stoppet de andre og ba om unnskyldning. Puh! Elsker alle bildene

huskatalog

Jen said...

Truly amazing countryside in Tassie. Thank you for the lovely photography and shareing your trip. You were game getting on the swing bridge. I was on one last week and my "husband" rocked it coming behind me. Which I informed him it wasn't very nice and don't do it!! I meant it. haha

Jan said...

Love your photos - time we went back to Tassie for a holiday. We used to live in launceston - our Rosy was born there and we used to take her swimming in the pool at the basin in the gorge. Lovely memories. Why do people think it's funny to jump on that bridge? It's happened to me too and like you I don't like heights. Aaaaargh!

5foot1quilts said...

Your week sounds blissful, and something I would love to do. I'm also terrified of heights, only the zombie apocalypse would have got me on that bridge. Jenn

Cathy said...

Your photo's are incredible as always Lizzie, and you make me want to visit Tassie, never been before. Glad you survived the bridge too! xo

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin