Sunday, 15 September 2013

So where was I...?

Oh yes...........after my trip to meet Miss Penelope back at the beginning of August, life settled back into its normal busy daily routine. 

We (the railway man & I) were invited to attend the opening of this exhibition at the Melbourne Museum...


It was an incredibly raw and emotional experience for both of us....



the railway man was brought up in homes and institutions during the 1950s and early 60s and has no happy childhood memories of these places...
He has finally finished his book on those early days, an emotional, sad, moving story of the insignificance of children forgotten. It's with the publisher now and we're hoping it will be in print and out by Christmas......I'll keep you posted.


We had a celebration at the end of August though....



our eldest daughter turned 40 and had a Carnival themed party to mark the start of a new decade for her..


lots of sticky sweet fair ground treats...


Meanwhile, spring has sprung...!



..sort of! We had a few lovely balmy spring days at the beginning of September....

then of course it reverted back to cold, wet and windy....





still, the daffodils bring sunshine to the garden.....





their gentle perfume redolent of spring days and warmer weather....



our garden is definitely at its best in late spring, full of colour and tender young shoots, getting itself ready for the heat of summer...



Excitement at work too this week. Sue's daughter Sam (who manages the cafe) had a beautiful baby boy last Monday. Meet Ollie, isn't he adorable? congratulations again Sue, becoming a grandmother is just one of the most amazing experiences I can think of, totally changes your life. Turns you upside down and inside out, first or tenth, doesn't matter.....grandchildren are just all encompassing...

AND...........



Only just over a week now until I leave for Italy.......

                                       (image from here)

excitement is building. I will be meeting up with Baukje in Rome and travelling to Orvietto with her....

after my week there I fly to the UK for a couple of weeks, I'm staying with another blogger for a couple of days (tell you who that is later) and then driving up north for some serious photography indulgence....

Can't wait now..!

Gotta go...I'm off to 


 to do some stitching (a little), chatting (a lot), laughing (probably lots and lots), catching up (lots) and have a generally great day...see you there? 
XXX



7 comments:

Leanne said...

See you soon

Sue said...

Thank goodness for Facebook so I can keep up with your busy life. Enjoy Italy and UK.

Margaret said...

Wow, that is so moving about your DH and his childhood. I'm hoping his book is published and look forward to hearing about it. Love the pics as always. Happy birthday to your DD! And what a cute baby! Love his name too! This is the time of year I envy you all on the other side of the world. Spring. I love spring. Bet you can't wait for Italy! Have a great time!

taylorsoutback said...

All the very best for your husband's book - it is beyond understanding how children could have been treated in such a cold surrounding.

Your daffodils are incredibly gorgeous. Have a fabulous trip...

baukje said...

I already filled my suitcase with fabric !!!!!! I hope there will be enough place for other things........ I will contact you this week .

trash said...

How have I missed that you are are UKbound? Where will you be based? Can we meet at all? So exciting!

pandchintz said...

What a lovely newsy post!! Congratulations to Sam and Sue - Ollie looks adorable!! Hoping you had a good time at Crafty Hijinks - haven't heard of that one! See you really soon.....

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin