Saturday, 12 October 2013

Cooking with Lorenzo...

Tuesday evening in Orveito we went to Zeppelins and had a cooking class with Chef Lorenzo...



apparently, the name of his restaurant has nothing whatsoever to do with this Zeppelin hanging from the ceiling but everything to do with his love of Led Zeppelin!


he is gregarious, funny, loud, quick and a fabulous chef....


the wines, of which there were plenty, were all local.....and excellent I might add..


Lorenzo, pondering what we will make...


there was a lot of milling around while he got himself organised...


so more wine was called for....


Baukje and Linda having a little tete a tete...


if I remember rightly Linda was on onions, Mike was doing garlic and connie was dicing celery...!


Mike doing an excellent job. the cheese you can see in front of him was an aged Pecorino....two years aged..! bit too ripe for me...


Kathy and Carolyn getting the low down on chopping the beef...


so exactly how many does it take to make the dough...??
Nancy, Alison, Cathy and Dave (Alison's husband)



Nancy wasn't quite sure about Cathy's exuberance with the dough...


turned out pretty good though....


Sue and I were on Cheese and Salami
(those are definitely bags under my eyes, I was so tired and still a bit jet lagged I think)



more wine.....


Alison giving the vegetable sauce for pasta a good stir....


a demonstration on rolling the little bread rolls from Lorenzo.......


this is the dough for the pasta, yep, that's red wine....



Alison, Sue, Kathy and David.....hmm, more wine....honestly, I'm surprised we all didn't leave there sans fingers...wine and knives, not usually a great combination, but I counted and we all still had 10!


one of the young apprentice chefs in the 'working' kitchen, dressing up dessert for a group in a private room...



chopping chocolate for our dessert...


which was Marsala custard with chocolate and Biscotti...


the Focaccia which was simple delicious......

I didn't get photos of the food as it came to the table, I was way way too tired by that time. We arrived at Zeppelin at 5pm and just got back to the Convent before the nuns shut the gates at 10!!

so if you ever find yourself in wonderful Orvieto, go see Lorenzo at Zeppelin, you won't regret it...

I'll be back tomorrow with our winery tour...see more wine...it's a wonder Italians get anything at all done...   :o)
























4 comments:

Margaret said...

Wow! Too much work for me. lolol! I'm not into cooking. Looks wonderful though! Great pictures! And I love the reason behind his restaurant name!

Cathy Underhill said...

Your class looked like sooo much fun, even with the jet lag! Loving your photo's Lizzie xo

Sue said...

What an experience Lizzie. The cooking looks like as much fun as the sewing!

pandchintz said...

Now that looks fabulous!! What fun!! Glad you all still had your fingers intact!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin