Saturday, 19 October 2013

Druids & Christians...

So after I left Ramsgate I pointed my little car in the direction of Salisbury, have you read 'Sarum'? Fabulous book, but anyway I digress. On the way I passed this....



and even though I've been a couple of times before I decided that I'd try and get some good shots of the  henge...


and I was lucky that there weren't too many tourist types getting in the way of my lens...   :o)

it's such an awesome thing, how did they do it that long ago..


I reckon I could have been a Druid you know, well, without the ritualistic killing stuff...just dancing around under the moon on midsummer...

okay, maybe not!

I left Stonehenge to the tourists and went on to Salisbury for lunch...


found my hotel, yes I know...terrible isn't it?   


then off for a walk around another Cathedral city.....


I know some will disagree but I think Salisbury is better than Canterbury, maybe it's grandeur, 
maybe it's the east and west transepts..


perhaps it's the fact that one of only four original copies of the Magna Carta is there, 
which was mind blowing to see and read...
no photos allowed though  :(


whatever it is, I loved Salisbury Cathedral.....


and it's city too...

the weather was still quite mild and dry, sunshine and autumn flowers....


I will never tire of seeing tudor.....


or thatch.....sigh, 

no good for us in our fire prone country I know, but it's so romantically beautiful...


Wales next  :o)

I love Wales too!

 lets face it, I'm having way too much of a good time on this trip. 

I'll have to get on with the blog posts though because in real time I'm nearly ready to go home...
I'll be back soon...


















8 comments:

baukje said...

Lovely pictures Liz. I never saw those stone, they seem to be enormous. Have a safe flight home.

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

One of my favourite places! The atmosphere is so special at Stonehenge. And yes I like Sarum, too :-)

Margaret said...

I'm enjoying your trip very much! Your photos are beautiful. Hope you have a safe trip home whenever you leave.

Leanne said...

When we were last at Stone Henge it was the summer solstice and there were Druids dancing around the rocks. They were allowd beyond the barriers. It is an amazing place. I LOVE thatch as well, such amazing houses. Loving my virtual holiday.

Cathy (aka CrafteeCC) said...

am loving seeing your pics - thank you for sharing. I am especially looking forward to seeing the Wales photos - my uncle was from Wales ;-)

Jodie said...

travel safe Lizzie, I think you would be an awesome druid...

pandchintz said...

Gorgeous pics, Lizzie! The cathedral was closed for repairs when we were there so only saw the outside. Love the thatched roofs - we saw one under construction in Ireland - fascinating! Can't wait to see you next week!!

Ela said...

Such a beautiful place
Greetings

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin