Friday, 11 October 2013

Still travelling...

It's been non stop for the last two weeks and now I'm here in the North of England, cosied up in a little cottage with fabulous views, I'm slowing down for a couple of days. Doing some washing and catching up with photos, facebook and blogging....

So, I was in Orvieto last time I wrote here...I had an amazing time not only with Sue Spargo but with my friend Baukje. 

the workroom was light and airy, seats could have had a little padding, but still...  

Sue got us all to take our fat quarter of background wool and add some neutral applique, ribbon, and shapes to it...


so this was mine, I used a piece of wool that I had dyed myself and added some japanese linen, striped linen and a piece of Liberty that Baujke gave me....

Then Sue asked us to cut it up!


some didn't but I did.....

for the appliqué on the wall journal, we had to take inspiration from what we saw and experienced during the week....


for me it was the steps, Orvieto is full of them, great old staircases and steps...


the variety and beauty of the doors.....


and even though I'm not really a drinker, the wines and vineyards are beautiful...


and finally, and I might add, right at the end...the ceramics we saw in the private museum down in the Etruscan Caves....this little jug  was just exquisite....

you can see the start of my little blue bird jug here...


for Baukje, the rooftops of Orvieto drew her......


Adrianne took her inspiration from pottery.....


Allison used the shapes and images from the museum too..


and Cathy, well her inspiration was all the Vespa's that zoom through the streets of Italy...she says that this is the Vespa she's always wanted but really, is never going to have..


the view from the top end of the workroom out onto the terrace, Adrianne sitting on the left and Linda 
is standing...


looking back from the terrace door, Cathy first on the left then Kim with Connie (from Melbourne) then comes Carolyn. Right at the end is Sue of course, with Angela getting some one on one time, then you can just see Baukje and half of Kathy...


Left to Right..
Alison (from South Australia) Cathy, Kim and Connie...



lunch each day was in the courtyard and made up of fresh local produce, pasta, bread and local wines...

I took my Facebook friends on the journey from my room to the workroom so I'll show you too...


the door right at the end of this corridor was my room...so you walk from there to the three steps where I'm standing to take the photograph..



then you're at the entrance to the second floor ballroom, the large arch on the left wall leads to the main marble staircase (did I show you that, I'll check)..but it's the smaller arch next to the giant painting that we're going to head for...


once there, turn to the left and go up the four steps, along the corridor to the six steps and the door at the very end....


turn right and down another set of marble stairs and the double glass doors lead into the workroom. Just to the right at the bottom of the stairs, is another set of stairs going down to a giant iron door on the left leading into the courtyard...

on Friday evening we had a small reception in the courtyard for show and tell but the light failed early as it was quite cool and rainy so everyones photos are a bit dark.....


our last supper together, well we did go out to an excellent restaurant after this..  :0)


Alison's quilt....


Baukje's roof tops with birds...


and mine...
I'm sorry they're not the greatest of photos and these are the only ones that are even half reasonable, it was just way too dark by this time...


and here we all are....
top to bottom, left to right..

Adrianne, Sue, Alison, Angela, your's truly, Kim, Connie, Cathy
Carolyn, Baukje, Linda, Kathy, Nancy

It was a truly amazing week and I loved every minute of it, roll on 2015!

I'll show you the rest of the Italy photos tomorrow before I start on the British ones...
the weathers broken here and it's quite cold, windy and getting wintery, definitely need to rug up now for my travels...




















7 comments:

baukje said...

Wow, all those pictures are so great,i wish we were still there......... Today i almost finished my birds!!!hope you bought a wintercoat.
Xxxx

Margaret said...

I loved the tour so much! Thanks for sharing with us. I hope you are enjoying the UK now!

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

Lovely photos. And some very talented ladies - beautiful work :-)

Leanne said...

Absolutely amazing thanks for the virtual tour.

shez said...

wow lizzie what wonderful work everyone was doing and thankyou for the tour,such a pretty place,awesome pics.xx

Jen said...

Thank you Lizzie for shareing your wonderful tour it was great. I hope your quilt will be hanging in a prominent place at your house ,It is amazing

pandchintz said...

The projects are amazing!! Love them all!! What a great time. Thanks for all the pics. Rug up and keep warm!! Looking forward to more!!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin