Saturday, 26 October 2013

The North of England....

driving in England was to say the least....interesting! they're not very good with their road signs I have to say..I know I was born there but this was the first time that I actually drove a car there...and a sign that just says 'The North' in my opinion isn't very informative.....I managed to find my way along motorways that just have numbers for names.....if you don't live there how do you know where the M6 goes...really? And how it connects with the A25? still, I eventually made it to my little cottage in Foulridge...


the view from my kitchen window belied the name of the village......

it was a pleasant little home away from home....
with quirky little touches throughout...




I'm not really that tall but you definitely had to 'duck' coming down the stairs...upstairs too you had to be awake, there were not only the stairs going up but once you got 'up', there were stairs going down into the bathroom...! just loved it.. and yes, I lit the fire as soon as I got there, it was distinctly chilly.



the view from the bedroom window was beautiful, especially watching the sun set across the Pentland Hills....amazing.

I arrived late on Wednesday afternoon after leaving Conwy so spent Thursday unpacking my bags, doing some much needed washing etc, and settling in ...

and on friday thought I might just go to Bolton Abbey, which according to mr google was about 30 minutes from me



the Yorkshire border was only 2 miles from my cottage and the first town over the border was Skipton and that's as far as I got.....


Skipton is a very pretty little market town and for those of you that follow Lucy's Attic 24 blog, it's where she is....


a typical North of England small regional town, lots of terrace houses in small, narrow streets, the towns of my childhood...... 
I felt right at home and just a tad nostalgic....  :o)



oh I wish I could have shipped so much stuff home....cheeses to die for, local meats and cakes...sigh


anyway, at the end of the main street is a castle....doesn't everyone have a castle in their main street...really?





this is Skipton Castle, an amazingly well preserved medieval castle over 900 years old...




beautifully kept grounds....


I think these were called 'Elizabeths' steps...
well named I thought  :o)




the inner courtyard.......

the rooms inside were equally well preserved...


lots of old oak trees in the grounds, just starting to drop their acorns....amazing little vistas everywhere you looked...


(I'm trying to get all my photos on to my Flickr account, but I took in excess of five thousand while I was away, many are rubbish but there are still a lot to get through. when I do I'll leave a link if you'd like to see them all)

anyway, that was friday. 

I did get to Bolton Abbey on Saturday....


tea and cake at the tea shop first.....



trust me, I was pleased to see the fire lit in there...



now this place is totally mind blowingly lovely...



Bolton Abbey is in Wharfedale, North Yorkshire and until 2006, was part of the estate of the Duke of Devonshire, the ruins and grounds around it are now run by a trust to preserve and keep it for future generations...


the Abbey and the estate both takes it's name from the ruined 12th-century Augustinian monastery now known as Bolton Priory...


stunningly beautiful......


stunningly photogenic....


and stunningly cold.....
see my awesome gloves I bought at Skipton Market...sooo warm, and I needed them.


picture perfect......

I loved it so much I went back the following day to walk the woods... I'll show you that next time...

15 comments:

Margaret said...

Wow, so lovely! I'm so envious of your trip! Amazing views from your little house, and that abbey is gorgeous!

shez said...

what gorgeous places Liz,thankyou for sharing and i love your new gloves.xx

Leanne said...

I think you are very brave to tackle the motor way on your own. Amazing photos as usual. It makes us realise what a baby australia is.

Lynda said...

Such a fabulous holiday and beautiful photographs. I remember visiting Skipton many many years ago and always remember how lovely it is.

Annie said...

Lizzy, it all looks magnificent....I've often seen Attic 24 walk through the woods....perhaps you'll bump into her in Skipton. I wish I was there with you.

Jan said...

So lovely, Lizzie (and our weather wasn't much better!) I still remember being absolutely gobsmacked by the age of things and by the gorgeousness of the countryside and all the little towns and villages. As for the driving - we found on our last trip about 12 years ago that signs for the place we were heading for disappeared at the roundabout and would you believe we never did find Hadrian's Wall, despite following all the signs and knowing we had to be close. Ha!

Sarah Wherry said...

OOhhh.....you might have to lend me those gloves for our trip to America next year! I love them!

Sue said...

Such great photos Lizzie, I thought I'd love coming on your trip virtually but now I think I really need to go in real life.

taylorsoutback said...

Any sign that read North would pull me along - what an amazing (know that word is used frequently but it works so well!) journey - thank you for taking us along - I can only dream...

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Beautiful--thanks for sharing your travels. Love the "duck" reminder.

pandchintz said...

Swoon!!! How beautiful. We laughed at your "duck" and the upstairs then downstairs - had a few of those in the B & B's we stayed at!

Naum Franpos said...

Wow very entertaining post. Ive notice that there are many
Cheap 1300 Numbers
that giving to a business to give them many clients. Most busineses are using smart numbers to easily remember by their clients most especially in renting and selling houses.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I love what you said in your first paragraph about the road directions and signs in the UK...My husband and I have argue about this little detail for the past 12 years! LOL Coming from Canada I was used to signs that said Hwy 20 West or East but in the UK it might say A14 Northampton...well unless you KNOW that Northampton is in the same general direction as your ultimate destination then that info is useless! And yes there are signs on the A14 pointing to Northampton that I have to follow to get to Rugby...Did I mention Rugby is 20 miles northwest of Northampton? Crazy!!

Judith said...

How far up north are you going? Yorkshire is not north to us up here in Northumberland. we have lovely castles up here too.Enjoy your time here.
Judith x

Rebecca said...

How beautiful, I am going to have to catch up on all your travel photos. I will make a cup of tea and live vicariously through them.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin