Monday, 21 October 2013

Wales...


after leaving Salisbury I planned on driving up to Conwy in Wales but I didn't want to drive up the Motorway, it's pretty soulless and boring....


so I set the Sat Nav for individual towns and went the old pre-motorway roads...


it was a little hairy at times on the tiny back roads..!


first stop was Ross-on-Wye, a pretty little market town in south eastern Herefordshire, on the River Wye and on the edge of the Forest of Dean...


a wee bit old fashioned and quaint...


I'm pretty sure that this was still in England, I had to pull over and take a photo...the topiary was as big as the house!!


So into Wales, beautiful scenery, awesome country...we (Mum and us three kids) would holiday in Wales every year during July and August. Dad would drive us in the loaded up car, big bell tent, supplies, kids, dog...the lot. 


He would stay for a day or two, help put up the tent and get us sorted then he'd head back to home and go to work all week.....



then if he wasn't working (he was a musician) he would come back for the weekend...


We would stay for the whole school holidays, exploring the beach, shell harbour, Snowdonia Park, rivers and towns....we did this every year until I was about 13 I think....I didn't get back to the place we used to camp but you can have a look at Dyffryn Ardudwy here...


after I left Ross on Wye I set the Sat Nav for Aberystwyth, it's just a small Welsh seaside town...



tidy and neat, the wind was bracing when I arrived, not cold but definitely starting to lose the warm weather that I had down south....


the next town I put into the Sat Nav was Conwy and it took me through some spectacular scenery...


through the heart of the Snowdonia National Park...


beautiful remote country......


with tiny roads that are no bigger than a footpath at home...! the woman that lived inside my Sat Nav told me to turn left and I have to tell you that I thought about ignoring her and finding another way....


it was one of those British roads that you see where someone has to reverse if two cars meet....


I'm happy to tell you that I didn't meet a single car on that road and the woman that lived in the Sat Nav knew her stuff....!


tiny villages along the way......
I finally found my hotel....

and this...


was the view from my bedroom window....

I had booked The Castle........
and let me tell you I would recommend it to anyone. a fabulous place full of character, low beams, steps down into rooms and four poster beds....


their meals were pretty good too....Posh Fish & Chips was my choice for room service and it was definitely as good as it looks...




but you'd expect the seafood to be good with this at the end of the road wouldn't you...?



went for a walk the next morning to buy a coat and an umbrella, the weather was getting cooler the further north I got...


this really is tiny, the litter bin you can see on the left is just a normal size public rubbish bin..!


Conwy Castle.....


and finally Penhryn Bay (Llandudno) where my Aunt & Uncle live.....
they knew I was coming here but didn't know what day I was going to arrive, so I just knocked on the door...! the look on Ian's face was priceless.....




























12 comments:

Jo in TAS said...

Lovely photos! My grandparents were from Ebbw Vale, Wales, would love to visit one day, their homes are still there today too.

Margaret said...

Oh wow, so so cool! I love all the pics, and the stories you tell too. What kind of musician was your father? It's always heartening to hear about musicians out there -- DS is studying music at college and I do worry. lol!

taylorsoutback said...

I savored each photo - and dream someday of being in Wales...my Dad comes from Welsh roots and played the cornet - he was career Navy and was in the United States Navy Band based in Washington, DC. Music was part of my childhood & continues to bring much pleasure each day.
Thank you for sharing your journey and stories. I have travel envy:o)

shez said...

thnkyou for the tour Liz,your pics are amazing.xx

Sue said...

It all looks so gorgeous, a little like Midsomer Murders....without any bodies I hope.

Sue said...

It all looks so gorgeous, a little like Midsomer Murders....without any bodies I hope.

baukje said...

That must have been great and emotional to be back where you and your parents have so many footsteps..... Your pictures are gorgeous, as usual!!!!! I once was in Wales when i was young..... I remember those small roads and all the green surroundings and the beautiful cottages.... Thanks for showing us .
Xxx

Leanne said...

Absolutely amazing photos Lizzie. It is a beautiful place. I am impressed you didn't have to do any reversing on those roads.

pandchintz said...

Stunning photos!! So glad the lady who lives in the sat nav knew her stuff - we couldn't have you lost!!

Sarah Wherry said...

There is something liberating and just a little bit scary about travelling by yourself - I bet you love that you did it and are planning the next trip already! Makes me really want to live in a castle though like I did when I was little. :)

Heather said...

Thanks so much for such a lovely post. Many years ago, while living in England we took a similar drive on our visit to Wales. Such lovely sights and memories!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What beautiful country you have covered...I love Wales...very picturesque...very wet but pretty! :o) Love that you surprised your relatives...we've done that before now and the look of surprise is the best!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin