Friday, 3 January 2014

twenty fourteen.....

can you honestly believe that it's 2014? I've only just got used to writing 2013!!

I can't promise that I'll be any better at blogging this year than I was last year (which was pretty woeful really) but I can at least start the year off well and do a post before the first week is out :o)


 I have been productive...


I was thrilled when this came back from the quilter, absolutely love it. Now I just have to get on with Bird Dance before this years BoM from Sue arrives in my post box......



we had dad stay with us over christmas and we spent some time on christmas day with Mum. she doesn't know any of us anymore and she's having trouble moving around now. A walker was the answer, so I took myself off to the medical aid shop and bought her one, covered the seat with some patchwork so the nurses know it's hers and..


she was like a duck to water, couldn't stop her. that's dad down at the end of the corridor trying to keep up..!

the man I live with, aka the railway man, aka John Kingston McMahon is finally a published author...


if you would like to read his story of growing up in boys homes, orphanages and foster homes you can buy an actual paper in your hand book here... 
(or order it by author and ISBN at your local book store)

one of the reviews reads..

"A simply written, heart rending story of John Kingston McMahon's long search for his father, after being brutally treated by the welfare system of the fifties. Mistreated, beaten, starved, imprisoned. You wonder that any welfare child of the fifties survived the System to become a healthy, balanced adult after reading this story."


yes, that is the railway man on the cover! he was just three when it was taken and we still have Ted, well, he does really belong to Sarah now, but we've borrowed him back for a little holiday...oh yes, and he still scowls like that too..  ;o)

and on the subject of the man I live with, aka the railway man...
he bought me this totally lovely little pigeon hole cupboard for christmas...


carried it out of his study (aka his playroom) and said....
"thought this might be just the thing for all your bits of fabric.." 
well it is, thanks...... I've spent the day today refolding fat quarters to fit in there, love it..!!

I've been off work for the last two weeks, back next Tuesday, and I've been doing some sewing...


finally got this one together, ready to go to the quilter...



and made this little 'penny quilt', I found it here and just loved it..
I think I'm going to just quilt it really simply and bind it in black (maybe black and white)
it's only small but it's going to look fabulous on the back of my couch.. I'm very much in love with limes and oranges and aquas right now...zesty and full of summer sunshine...
not that we've had that much summer warmth here, so far it's been a disappointing summer around our patch, we've had lots of ....



amazing skies and sunsets but not much heat at all......
hoping that changes soon....









9 comments:

Jan said...

Happy New Year, Lizzie - what a great post - you've sure made up for last year! What with your folks, your quilts, your gorgeous photos and sharing a house with a famous author I don't know how you can keep up with everything. See you soon, I hope. xx

soggybottomflats said...

Lizzie, the last picture on this post is so humbling. You are such an accomplished artist. Wishing you the best dear friend, Elaine
I bet your mother has always kept your father running after her!

I'm Deborah said...

Happy new year to you dear Lizzie....... love, love, love your quilts and your new storage cubby....... perhaps we will have a chance to catch up sometime later this year?!

Jen said...

Happy New Year Lizzie. Your quilts are beautiful love your fabric colours and it was lovely to see your mum and dad .Also congratulations to the railway man becoming an author. Keep posting and quilting.

shez said...

lots going on in your life lizzie,i enjoyed reading your post ,love your quilts,your hubby's book looks very interesting,think i will check it out,and happy new year to you and your love ones.xx

makehasteslowly said...

Just ordered the book! Thanks for the heads up on it!

Andi said...

HNY Lizzie!!
Love your new fabric cabinet!
Andi x

pandchintz said...

Great post Liz! Love the cover for your Mum's wheelie walker, and the quilts too!! What a great present from John, and I'm off to order a copy of his book.

Oscar Wildde said...

Thanks for posting! I like you cabinet so much! I also have a cabinet for writing. When I need to write a story for http://www.essaykings.me/ (now I seldom have such tasks), I sit at the table and close my eyes. Then I think about something pleasant and warm. I drink coffee and write..

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin