Wednesday, 21 May 2014

45 years ago today..........


...........I stepped off a Qantas jet on to Australian soil for the very first time...

I was a few weeks short of 19 years old...
full of enthusiasm for this new young country that would now be my home...



I left behind the rolling green hills of my youth...that green and pleasant land..

I left behind pomp and ceremony....


I left behind queen and country...



I left behind village greens and tiny streets, basements and attics, walks in the snow....



I left behind all that I knew and loved.......


I left behind people that I loved.....
I left behind people that had touched my heart...
 and I left behind people that I would miss for the rest of my life...


Oh to be in England
now that April's there,
and whoever wakes in England
sees, some morning, unaware,
that the lowest boughs and the brushwood sheaf'
round the elm-tree bole are in tiny leaf.
while the chaffinch sings on the orchard bough
in England - now!

And after April, when May follows,
and the whitethroat builds, and all the swallows!
Hark, where my blossom'd pear-tree in the hedge
leans to the field and scatters on the clover
blossoms and dewdrops-at the bent spray's edge-
that's the wise thrush; he sings each song twice over,
the first fine careless rapture!
and though the fields look rough with hoary dew,
all will be gay when noontide wakes anew
the buttercups, the little children's dower
-far brighter that this gaudy melon-flower!

Home Thoughts From Abroad
Robert Browning (1812-1889)

I stepped on to the tarmac at Sydney airport and wondered what I had let myself in for?

I had suddenly gone from Browning to Mackellar......

but it turned out that....




I love a sunburnt country
a land of sweeping plains.....


of ragged mountain ranges....


of droughts and flooding rains....


I love her far horizons.....


I love her jewel sea....


her beauty and her terror
the wide brown land for me.....
Dorothea Mackeller


Am I sorry?  

Not often, but we all have some regrets in life and sometimes that green and pleasant land has it's own magical appeal and pull. I miss the rolling green hills, I miss some people a whole lot. When there are fires raging I miss the soft misty air, I miss the wood and copse of the English countryside, I miss the myths & legends, I miss the history......... I miss hearing the lilt of Lancashire and Yorkshire, I miss the ability to walk the lakes and mountains......sigh!!

I don't however miss the long, cold and grey winters, I don't miss the smallness of my birth country, I don't miss the crowded roads, I don't miss living cheek to cheek with only a wall dividing you, I don't  miss the crowded cities and I don't miss the weather...  :o)



21 comments:

shez said...

what a moving post Lizzie,i for one am glad that you moved here,you are an amazing person,who i am glad is a friend,enjoy and celebrate your day Liz.xx

Sue said...

I'm glad you made that move Lizzie, although you don't eat Vegemite, your children and grandchildren probably do!

Lynda said...

I am a child of people who made the move over 60 years ago and am forever grateful they came here (Mum's from Manchester and Dad's from Penrith). No matter how beautiful their home areas are (and I've been there a couple of times) there is no substitute for sunshine. BUT I completely understand you missing people because they really hold our hearts.

Jen B said...

I for one am so fortunate you had the good grace to jump to this land with your family.
Without you, my sister, my best friend, my soul mate, I would be bereft for you have laughed and cried with me, held my hand when needed, and yes, we have jumped together into the unknown on the odd occasion. May I take this opportunity to thank your wonderful Mum and Dad for their decision to emigrate to Australia and may I also thank that railway driver too for moving to Sunshine, with you where we first met as neighbours.
I don't think I need to say who I am. Xxxx

Jen B said...

I for one am so fortunate you had the good grace to jump to this land with your family.
Without you, my sister, my best friend, my soul mate, I would be bereft for you have laughed and cried with me, held my hand when needed, and yes, we have jumped together into the unknown on the odd occasion. May I take this opportunity to thank your wonderful Mum and Dad for their decision to emigrate to Australia and may I also thank that railway driver too for moving to Sunshine, with you where we first met as neighbours.
I don't think I need to say who I am. Xxxx

taylorsoutback said...

Your reflections on leaving one beloved place and arriving at what would become another touches each of is in individual ways. Lovely writing and images.
I often wonder how it must have been for my own Australian born mother-in-law as she left behind everything she knew and loved in Sydney and sailed for the US....

Margaret said...

What a lovely post! You're the second blogger I follow to speak of emigrating to Australia back in their younger days. Australia has always been a land of fascination for me. Love reading novels set in Australia and have learned a lot about your adopted country. Thanks for sharing with us your anniversary. And happy anniversary!

Diane-crewe said...

so glad it worked for you x the weather here in the UK has been glorious the last few days .. shame the forecast to-morrow is rain rain rain! But then that's what makes it a green and pleasant land xx

pandchintz said...

I, for one, am very glad you were so brave and made the move! Such a huge leap of faith. I remember a few years ago, standing outside my Gran's childhood home in Cornwall that she exchanged for a Mallee farm - such a contrast for a young woman just after WWI. We luvs ya! x

Leanne said...

Wonderful post Lizzie, so glad you made the journey. Fantastic snaps as usual.

Lou - Max and Louise Pattern Co said...

What a beautiful post. It bought a tear to my eye. Thanks for sharing your love of England & Australia with us.

Christine M said...

What a great post Liz. It is such a big thing to leave one country to live in another.

Kim said...

Such a lovely tribute to your homeland. There are times when fond memories make a heart ache. Is it time for a visit?

Anita said...

Hi Liz,
What a great post that was! I can understand you completely. My parents came here years ago too, and made Australia home. My mother never got over moving from Austria, but my father loved the new country as he was from Poland.
Cheers, Anita.

Julie Kennedy said...

A beautiful post and one I can relate to. I was 10 years old when we moved to Australia. We landed in Perth and have now been here for nearly 40 years. I too still feel the connection to England even though Australia is home. This is probably the same for migrants all over the world. Thank you for putting words and pictures together so beautifully to explain this feeling!

Syed Kazim Ali said...

Latest All Hot Current Affairs, Bollywood News updates, funny and lol pictures
HotCurrentAffairs

Natsu Uaganda said...

Get Hourly profit for 200 hours on every hour without any risk and without any work, best business plans ever
AllTimeProfit.com

Sew Quilt Designs said...

I know exactly how you feel. It was lovely reading your post...not being so good with words myself. You summed it all up wonderfully:)

Annie said...

We love having you here Lizzy

muhammad yasir bawani said...

Find home based jobs of link building, facebook marketing, add marketing, add clicking and much more jobs.
www.jobzcorner.com

irfan a.r said...

Online Easy Jobs from home with data entry, copy pasting, facebook jobs
www.jobzcorner.com

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin